Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Black is beautiful.
Sure looks great, Ross.

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Brake bleeding question

Post by ajs350 »

Last week I replaced the master cylinder reservoir as the original one started to leak at the cap (I think I over tightened it :oops: ). I then had the normal challenges in bleeding the brakes again. I managed to get a firm lever but I was sure it was better before and no matter what I did I could not improve upon it. I had to also change the pads and in doing so I had to push the pistons back into the calipers which forced fluid up into the reservoir. Once I started pumping the lever to bring the pads back on to the disc I noticed a very fine stream of bubbles coming up through the reservoir. There must have still been air in there as afterwards the brake was then back to how it was. Thought I'd share in case this works for anyone else.

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Brake bleeding question

Post by cross »

I used vac pump to get most of the air out followed by manual bleed and then i remembered that my dad told me years ago about gravity bleeding.
We also have to take in account new disks and pads take time to seat in and until they are fully seated, brake lever will not have "normal" feel.
I've about 300 miles on it since and brake lever feel is is much different then when i started.
I used ATE dot4 type 200 which has higher heat tolerance.
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

Return to “BRAKES: Calipers, Pads, Lines, Rotors, Upgrades & Fixes”