What are my front rotor options?

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

What are my front rotor options?

Post by Syscrush »

Hey all. I currently have stock CBX rotors on CB1100F wheels with CB1100F calipers on the front.

I am planning a fork swap and brake upgrade, and would like to know what options I have for other rotors that will fit my wheels without adapters (but spacers are OK). I would kind of like to go bigger than the 276mm, but not super-big. I have seen references to CB1100F rotors being 296mm, which would be great. I've also seen something about ST1100 rotors having the same bolt pattern and being used as part of some kind of big brake conversion, but I don't know what size those rotors are.

I would like if I can find something that's ~300mm with the same bolt pattern as the CBX/CB1100F from a more modern bike that might be more likely to be available as a wave rotor (ideally), or a drilled rotor from a source like EBC or Galfer.

For calipers, I'll be upgrading to 4-piston calipers. The specific calipers & the mounting scheme will depend on what forks I choose (leaning towards Pro-Link 39mm RSU forks but still considering some USD options). I'll deal with that once the forks & calipers have been selected.

Any info, pointers, or hard data would be very much appreciated.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: What are my front rotor options?

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

The EBC MD1036 rotors fit most of the CB/CBX series.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-EBC-Pro-Lit ... 8e&vxp=mtr

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Thanks a lot, Steve.

There's some helpful info there. I've seen those rotors used on some nice builds on here but the style is really not what I'm looking for. With that said, I think that those EBC rotors are a lot lighter and while cutting unsprung weight is not a primary goal, it can't hurt.

I thouht that BikeMaster had a nice-looking rotor for the CB1100F, but some research showed that that doesn't help me. Those rotors are the style that has no carrier, for use on the non-boomerang wheels, which also means that they won't look like the pics on the website that got me a bit excited.

The ST1100 rotor is the same no-carrier style, so I guess the piece of info I came across saying it might fit the CB1100F wheels was about the 6-spoke cast wheels, not the boomies.

I'm starting to think that if I want something bigger and/or more trick, it's gonna take adapters.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

These GSX-R rotors look so nice. They're 300 mm diameter (I believe), and so lacey that they wouldn't obscure my beloved boomies:

They also look flat, and the bolt circle seems quite a bit bigger than on the boomerang or Comstar wheels, which should mean enough room for adapters.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

I haven't been able to find hard #'s, but it seems like they're more like 310mm, which would still be OK in terms of looks, but kind of the outside edge of what I want.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

I be doing the same , looking for rotors to go on the boomerang wheels.

I want something that floats, combined that with a floating caliper and it would seem to be the hot ticket.

I was thinking of contacting Brake Tech, they make three styles of axis rotors that float. Iron, Stainless Steel, or Ceramic. Of course Ceramic is way outta my budget.

This is my Ducati with their rotors:

http://www.braketech.com/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=97

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Those are beautiful rotors. Let me know how it goes. BikeMaster confirmed that they have no fitment for those wheels.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Syscrush wrote:Those are beautiful rotors. Let me know how it goes. BikeMaster confirmed that they have no fitment for those wheels.

EBC makes rotors with the Honda DOHC pattern, which includes the CBX and the Golden Boomerangs. I have also seen other unusual aftermarket rotors, some from China :o on foreign ebay sites.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

EMS wrote:EBC makes rotors with the Honda DOHC pattern, which includes the CBX and the Golden Boomerangs.
Thanks. Steve noted that above. I like the looks of the stock ones better than those.
I have also seen other unusual aftermarket rotors, some from China :o on foreign ebay sites.
There's stuff where I'm willing to go off-brand, and then there's brakes. :P
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

OK, even better. The 05-08 GSX-R1000 had 5-bolt rotors with that same lacey style that I like so much:

This design should make it easy to make uncomplicated adapters. These rotors are so cheap & plentiful used that I should be able to pick up a pair plus have some custom-made adapters for a price that's comparable to a new set of good aftermarket rotors like the BrakeTech or Galfer wave rotors. Honestly, I like the carrier design of this OEM rotor better than the aftermarket options. Once the adapters are made and everything's sorted out, I can always swap to aftermarket rotors later if I want.

This plus a pair of Brembo 4-piston calipers and a Bandit 1200 coffin-style master cylinder would make a pretty sweet setup.

I would rather have something closer to 300mm, but 310 will be doable. The 298mm Honda rotors are 6-bolt and have some offset, which complicates making adapters. Some of the 300mm Kawasaki rotors are 5-bolt, and they're petal rotors (which I like), but the carriers don't look as good as these GSX-R ones, and they do have some offset.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Syscrush wrote:OK, even better. The 05-08 GSX-R1000 had 5-bolt rotors with that same lacey style that I like so much:
After talking to a local fabricator this morning about making up the adapters, I went ahead and ordered these rotors.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Syscrush wrote: After talking to a local fabricator this morning about making up the adapters, I went ahead and ordered these rotors.
If you buy used rotors, make sure the pucks still have a tight fit. This can be a problem with floating rotors and it will result in an annoying clunking noise when braking.
For some rotors, replacement pucks are available, for others it is not worth it.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

EMS wrote:If you buy used rotors, make sure the pucks still have a tight fit. This can be a problem with floating rotors and it will result in an annoying clunking noise when braking.
For some rotors, replacement pucks are available, for others it is not worth it.
Yeah, I had that problem with my old Katana 600. Kinda rolling the dice on these rotors - even if they clunk they'll be good for a season.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Look what came in the mail today...

Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Looking great Phil!
But it also looks rather tight :o One of the most annoying problems I have on some bikes is the difficulty of removing the front wheel, becasue it is very hard to pull the calipers off through the tight space between the rotor and the rim. :think:

Return to “BRAKES: Calipers, Pads, Lines, Rotors, Upgrades & Fixes”