rear brake retainer?

toytuff
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

rear brake retainer?

Post by toytuff »

Greetings,

I have just finished rebuilding the rear caliper on my 82 C model. For the life of me I can't find where this shim goes. Honda calls it a retainer. There is nothing in the service book for the rear caliper but it does show this "shim" in the front.

I know it came out of the rear and thinking this is used to absorb vibration or brake pad chatter.

Thanks in advance.

tt

riding a six pack

toytuff
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: rear brake retainer?

Post by toytuff »

Looks like I might have found it. Goes into the rear of the caliper bracket.

tt
riding a six pack

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Those tied me in knots too. They go perpendicular to the plane of the brake pads, if that helps.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

There should be two of them for each caliper hanger. The parts book, to me, shows clearly where they go. The brake pads slide in beside them so they don't wear directly on the bracket. They are actually glued in from the factory. Lots of bike out there without them.

Dave

toytuff
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by toytuff »

Dave,

Have not got to the fronts yet. Parts fische shows retainers for front, not for back.

The rear clips into the rear caliper braket, then the retainer and finally the caliper. You already knew this I'm sure.

tt
riding a six pack

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Their purpose is to prevent the pads from peening themselves into the aluminum caliper material causing, potentially, the pads 'sticking'/hanging up as they try to compensate with wear.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

toytuff wrote:Dave,

Parts fische shows retainers for front, not for back.

tt
Not sure if I understand correctly what you're saying, but the parts are shown on the fiche I have. Page F5, Rear Brake Caliper, item No 3, part-no 43112-410-006, retainer, RR Bracket. 2 required.

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

I don't recall having seen this part when doing rear pads on my '82. (Parts catalog does not show them for rear, either.) BUT, yes, the front calipers have them. My parts catalog, 81-82, shows it as part no. 45112-MA2-006 retainer, bracket, 14T. (Also, on the fiches at Bike Bandit, etc.). The braking forces are not taken by the calipers because it would bind the pistons. As the caliper is floating, the pads react against the bracket. These little sheet metal shims prevent the pads from pounding into the bracket material. I have to look at the rear, again, to see what the load reaction point/surface is.

When reassembling calipers to the brackets, you can sometimes get the shims to stay in place with the two little tabs that go into holes in the bracket (as I remember). Otherwise, use a little brake caliper grease to 'stick' it to the bracket while you slide the caliper-pad assembly into place. A little touchy doing it; but, it'll go. After everything is assembled, no problem. They won't come out if properly in place. Interestingly, Honda do not mention this part in the shop manual. It does show in the exploded view on page 15-0; but, no mention anywhere that I have found. Someone must have thought they had a miracle glue that would last forever. I'll be doing pads, shortly, after I finish fork rebuild. I'll try to get a photo.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “BRAKES: Calipers, Pads, Lines, Rotors, Upgrades & Fixes”