Brake Squeal

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Brake Squeal

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Looking through this topic, I didn't see a topic specifically addressing brake squeal. So, I thought I would enter my experience. I've replaced my front pads (82 pro-link) several times in 40,000 miles. First time was due to wear-out of the original pads. (They did not squeal.) Subsequently, I've used EBC, DP and SBS. All squealed for me. Even hospital-clean rotors didn't help. Screech level could put most school bus to shame. (Admittedly, I did not try any genuine Honda replacement pads.)

What has worked was to bevel the leading and trailing edges of the pads. Using any flat surface and some 60 grit paper, I cut a bevel of approx 30 deg onto each end of the friction material to about half the depth of the pads. Haven't heard a squeak in the past 4000 miles. Whether this works for anyone else, don't know. Worked great for me. Just thought I'd share it with the Forum.

Note, this does not change braking power just because it reduced the pad area a bit. And, for normal street riding, including Deal's Gap, won't measurably affect fade either. What it will do is reduce pad life (estimate 5 - 10%).
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Will
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Brake Squeal

Post by Will »

Here I thought that brake squeal was a warning device for those pedestrians who inadvertently wander into this old man's path. A light pull on the lever causes their head to perk up so they can see what is coming. It works for me. I consider that squeal an asset.

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

I'm with you on that, Will. Kinda like a Petebilt hard on the jake-brake and binders all in one!
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Wonder whether DOT5 would solve that problem also...... :laughing-rolling:

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

My 'theory' on brake pads has always been . . . . unless you are trying to 'solve' some problem you've had using the factory pads, use the factory pads - This has worked really well for me going back more than 30 years

In general, I've found the factory pads to be quieter, cleaner, reasonably long wearing and problem-free. Granted, there are cheaper pads, longer wearing pads, quicker stopping pads and pads which give you slightly less fade, but you never find all of those attributes in the same set of pads - If you're looking for a reasonable blend of all of them, you're probably looking at . . . . the factory pads. It seems that 8 times out of 10 when someone is complaining about their brake pads, they're using an aftermarket pad

Of course, your experiences may vary, but for me, paying a little more and getting the factory part has always worked pretty well

Don

Will
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Will »

Don wrote:My 'theory' on brake pads has always been . . . . unless you are trying to 'solve' some problem you've had using the factory pads, use the factory pads - This has worked really well for me going back more than 30 years

In general, I've found the factory pads to be quieter, cleaner, reasonably long wearing and problem-free. Granted, there are cheaper pads, longer wearing pads, quicker stopping pads and pads which give you slightly less fade, but you never find all of those attributes in the same set of pads - If you're looking for a reasonable blend of all of them, you're probably looking at . . . . the factory pads. It seems that 8 times out of 10 when someone is complaining about their brake pads, they're using an aftermarket pad

Of course, your experiences may vary, but for me, paying a little more and getting the factory part has always worked pretty well

Don

That was always a rule of my thumb. It seems the FJR fraternity is finding out that no matter how much hype there is, it usually doesn't work better than stock.

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

I'm kinda liking Mike's Dot 5 thought!
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “BRAKES: Calipers, Pads, Lines, Rotors, Upgrades & Fixes”