Brake pad options

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Brake pad options

Post by Kool_Biker »

Hi
My 79Z front system is well bled (finally), but the feeling I get from my front brakes is feeble and wooden.
Now the pads came with the bike and could be substandard or contaminated or who knows what else?
As I have never ridden another CBX, ever, I have no way of knowing if this is the best Honda was offering at the time, and I am fully aware braking was not one of the bike's strong points ...
But, example, my 1976 GL 1000 front brakes give me better feel, are more progressive - less wooden - Is this right?

May be it is time I change the pads. Then should I opt for original Honda parts, or are there any other fully compatible pads which are known to be better?

I would appreciate any advice before committing to buy.

Thanks, Aris
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Brake pad options

Post by daves79x »

Aris:
Contrary to popular belief, early CBX's did and can have excellent brakes. The system on my 45,000 '79 that I bought new and have never had the brakes apart on, has excellent brakes. I still have the original front pads, but have replaced the rear with EBC pads. Still have stock rubber lines and all.

I'm restoring an '80 that had absolutely killer brakes before the restoration. It had the stock master cylinder, steel lines and EBC pads. You would not want better brakes that it had. I think EBC only makes one pad compound for the CBX - not sure on that one. My only hope is that the twin-pot calipers I'm putting on the restoration will be as good as those I took off!

Good stock pads have pretty progressive feel, and the EBCs really do - no 'wooden' feel at all. If you have access to EBC pads - I'd try them. The EBCs have a killer 'bite' to them with very modest lever pressure and will absolutely lock up the front wheel with a hard pull. Both need broken in for several hundred miles to get the great feel.

Dave

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

This is very useful Dave.
So you say go for EBC, I will certainly look them up, see what options there might be.
BTW, I have a well sorted system with steel lines, which is well bled by now.
I know my pads are at fault.
Thanks, Aris
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Old pads will most likely be the culprit. They may be glazed and do not perform well anymore. Hate to even go there, but what fluid did you put in the system? If you are a discriminating rider and expect a certain brake performance (with steel braided lines), different fluids will have different feels.

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

Ha Ha Ha! I would hate to go to the old debate as well :D :D

Incredibly, it was me (then under the name 'Aris' rather than Kool_Biker) who started the infamous thread in the first place (Oct 30, 2003, 'Dot 5 Fluid'), and I am today an avid (but quiet) supporter of Dot 5.

Look, it works in my 750 Commando, it works in my CX 650 Turbo and it works in my GL1000. Surely I can make it work with my CBX.

But re-reading Dave's and your kind answers I think that a possible reason I have this problem is that the current pads are the ones I bought the bike with.
During my nut and bolt restoration they were mixed and (not :D ) matched. I bet they are now desperately trying to bed in and may be get rid of some old glaze ... After all, I have only done 120 gentle miles with them. They need more, as you suggest.

I am already on to EMS, but will give the existing ones a little more time, just in case they decide to bed in successfully and save me some money.

Thanks guys :D :D :D
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Aris: I am not sure if they are available in Greece, but I have been using SBS (Scandinavian Brake Systems) ceramic brake pads for most of my older bikes. I am not particularly fond of semi-metallic or sintered pads as the metallic content in the friction material has a tendency to rust and I had one occasion where the pad came loose from the backing plate. The supplier blamed this on the rust of the metal content that was used since the friction material manufacturers discontinued asbestos. I don't know what the EBCs are made of and I usually buy the SBS pads in Germany.

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

Mike

I can easily source either SBS or EBC from abroad (usually UK) - not a problem.
Having said this, I have been amazed on several occasions with the treasures I have come across, at times, here in Greece (always when I do not need anything!).

On a slightly different subject, my biggest problem over here re my CBX is, I have never listened to another one in anger, or ridden another one for that matter at all and so I have no means of judging if things are right, if all the right noises are (or are not!) there, etc. etc.

I am envious of you guys meeting every so often, comparing notes and doing 'carb sync parties' !

Thanks lots, Aris
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

Return to “BRAKES: Calipers, Pads, Lines, Rotors, Upgrades & Fixes”