82 Rotors

barryadam
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by barryadam »

daves79x wrote:... 900F rotors will bolt right up and you can use the lighter conventional twin-piston calipers from the 900F or many other Hondas. Even the early model rotors will bolt right up to any CBX Comstar and allow use of the conventional 2-pot calipers. The 900F rotors just look better IMO.

Dave
I think someone here already discussed the different thickness of pads used on the 900F calipers with 900F rotors versus the late model CBX twin piston calipers with the 900F or early CBX rotors. Even though the 900F and 81/82 CBX twin piston calipers may be the same, they used different thickness pads based on the different thickness rotors. The late model CBX pads are thinner due to the wider vented rotors. Prolly work with either pads, though.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

There is some confusion here. The calipers on the stock Pro-Link are physically wider castings to accomodate the wider rotors. The brake pads are the same for any of the 2-pot calipers of that era, although some are made wider than others. The deal is to get the regular-sized calipers to go with the thin rotors if you are doing a conversion. They are very common and cheap.

Also, Blanchard grinding is the only way to go to resurface bike rotors. Cutting them results in millions of little shavings that tear up brake pads.

Dave

SPLINTER
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: 82 Rotors

Post by SPLINTER »

Just talked to the guy at truedisk.net, even thou I sent mine late yesterday to JR @ CBX-tras. They were very friendly and eager to assist. Claimed he and his partner have been doing these for a combined 65 years and have seen and done every rotor you can imagine. Lead time usually within 36 hrs. and ships back. Charges around $35.00 ea. mmmmm. Anybody ever deal with them? Of course I will honor the deal I made with JR even if the price may be a little higher, since he needs to make a bit for his services. However just thought to throw this out there.
Here is the link again:

http://www.truedisk.net/

Return to “BRAKES: Calipers, Pads, Lines, Rotors, Upgrades & Fixes”