Brakes, Rear Brakes, Ducati Brakes, Rear Ducati 748 Brakes.

George R. Garrison #0857
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Brakes, Rear Brakes, Ducati Brakes, Rear Ducati 748 Brakes.

Post by George R. Garrison #0857 »

Maybe someone has run into this problem or maybe I'm just stupid.

Note: I'm working one of my '81 CBX's, but I doubt it will be running this season.

In the mean time, the 2000 Ducati 748 is on the road and doing great.

But, the rear brake on the DUC is kicking my rear end.

The rear master cylinder was bad, I replaced it with a new component from Ducati and had difficulty bleeding the fluid. The fluid was totally replaced. All the hoses purged and the rear caliper was checked and found to be in superior condition. But, bleeding was finally accomplished and no more air comes out with bleeding, only clear brake fluid.
But, the pedal is still spongy and the rear brake is working but very ineffective. It acts like there's still air being compressed in the system.

I know it is not a CBX but maybe someone else has run into this, any help would be appreciated.

Later, George in Delaware
I'm into motorcycles, wooden boats, airplanes, wood working and car restoration.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Take the entire system off the bike, hang vertically & bleed, clamping a suitable size/thickness piece of metal between the pads. If it works, you have a bleed problem, if it doesn't, poor cup seal/seat...
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The rear brake on these bikes is very ineffective. It is good enough to hold the bike at a traffic light but doesn't do much for slowing you down. I hardly use it when riding.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

It's always a good idea to 'bench bleed' any master cylinder before you install it . . . . commonly done while clamped in a vise, hence the name

If you don't have every single molecule of air purged from the master before you install it, bleeding the entire hydraulic system is darned near impossible

Google 'bench bleed' if you need the specifics

Don

George R. Garrison #0857
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Thanks for all the help

Post by George R. Garrison #0857 »

I'll try it all and get back to ya with the result.

On another note, I gravity bleed the front brakes on my 56 Plymouth this morning and it was so easy and worked so well.

And yes, I realize the rear brake on the Ducati 748 is very weak when working good, but just trying to get rid of the spongy pedal. I also rarely use any rear brake on a motorcycle.

Thanks again,

Later, George in Delaware
I'm into motorcycles, wooden boats, airplanes, wood working and car restoration.

Return to “BRAKES: Calipers, Pads, Lines, Rotors, Upgrades & Fixes”