Brake Resto Question - Powdercoating

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Brake Resto Question - Powdercoating

Post by Samelak »

I will be picking up a 80 CBX soon to start restoring and I am a big fan of home powdercoating. Has anyone here powdercoated their master cylinders and calipers before? I want to make sure I will be able to tear everything down far enough to put in the oven and bake with out distorting or melting anything. Plus any tips related will be greatly appreciated.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I have powder coated brake calipers on my own bikes and I am still doing this a lot for friends. Works fine. You usually don't set the oven hot enough to distort anything. Proper plugging of the holes when spraying is really important. Also cover the flat surfaces around the brake line connections to make sure the seals sit right afterwards.

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Samelak »

EMS wrote:I have powder coated brake calipers on my own bikes and I am still doing this a lot for friends. Works fine. You usually don't set the oven hot enough to distort anything. Proper plugging of the holes when spraying is really important. Also cover the flat surfaces around the brake line connections to make sure the seals sit right afterwards.
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm assuming the front and back master cylinders are good to powdercoat too. Also, what about the lower fork legs? I noticed in a resto article the person decided to paint instead of powdercoat. Any issues with those parts?

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Powdercoat for durablity, stove enameling for finish....

As Mike has said int he prior post, just make sure that the engineered mating sufaces are protected in the spraying process. As all components are uniformally heated, distortion becomes negligible...
ICOA # 656

Phil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Phil »

As was said above, preperation is the key. I even powdered in the red dots on all of mine, what are those for anyway ?, masked them off and overpowdered with black.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Phil wrote: the red dots on all of mine, what are those for anyway ?, .
Quality control marks during manufacturing/assembly.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Darn & all that time I thought it signified DOT 3 brake fluid installed.. :?
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

alimey4u2 wrote:Darn & all that time I thought it signified DOT 3 brake fluid installed.. :?
As opposed to another fluid? Or just fluid installed? (which would make it an assembly QC mark) :?

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

I "assumed" it was fluid installed Mike.... Still learning after all these years.. :lol:
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

alimey4u2 wrote:I "assumed" it was fluid installed Mike.... Still learning after all these years.. :lol:
Well, that would be a QC mark, wouldn't it? Some plants use yellow paint dots, some use red, when a certain process has been completed to spec.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

I still think you're right Mike, you know more about production /manufacturing protocol than I.... :thumupp:
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

alimey4u2 wrote:I still think you're right Mike, you know more about production /manufacturing protocol than I.... :thumupp:
Wasn't aware that we were arguing :? :? Aren't we saying the same thing :?: :?: 8)

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

If that means I'm also right, I agree.... :lol: :lol:
ICOA # 656

Return to “BRAKES: Calipers, Pads, Lines, Rotors, Upgrades & Fixes”