CB1100R rotors...

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

CB1100R rotors...

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

After doing a search i did not seem to find the complete answer, soooo....
Can i use CB1100R front rotors on my '81?
I know they are thinner and i was concerned about the extra piston travel.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Mike ( EMS) will be able to tell you Steve, my worries would be overtravel of your pistons/pucks, maybe not an issue....
ICOA # 656

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

and why did I post a picture of my old race bike? I roadraced it for years with a CBR600F3 front wheel with stock prolink CBX calipers. The F3 rotors are pretty thin. There are 3 different thickness pads that will fit the front of the prolink CBX. If you go by the ebc number, they are FA69, FA69/2, and FA69/3. They are 10, 9, and 11.3mm thick respectively. The prolink takes /2 which is 9mm. With the thinner rotors you can use the /3. I changed the front pads fairly often. I was worried about the lateral forces on the pistons when the pads got real used. I never did have any brake problems though. Are the 1100R rotors floating? I'd be concerned about the weight of the bike also. I removed 150lbs from my race bike. That probably made the biggest difference.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

alimey4u2 wrote:Mike ( EMS) will be able to tell you Steve
And let's not forget George.... 8)
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

There is actually a small controversy about this (surprised??). The CB1100R rotors I have and the ones that were on my Rd are the same as the 82 Goldwing and they are thinner. Jan said, his are the same as on the Prolink and I have seen many pictures which show them with the same rotors. :? :roll: :?
The thinner rotors did work with the stock Prolink calipers. It may become critical, if you run the pads all the way down, I did not try this. And George may be on to something with the thicker pads.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Thanks for the info, gents.
I am hoping to use the 1100R rotors on an 18" 1100F Boomerang Comstar that i had powdercoated black.
I am also hoping that in using Georges' choice of EBC pads that my backroad times will improve. Something to do with CBXtacy Karma.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The front Euro/Canadian Boomerang Comstars (gold) are identical to the CB1100R front wheels. The CB1100R rear is slightly wider (3" vs 2.75")

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

two things to consider for going fast on back roads. Ground clearance and brakes. I've got my brakes hot enough to where they stopped working until they had a chance to cool off. I use valvoline or castrol synthetic brake fluid. Don't confuse synthetic with dot 5 silicone brake fluid. The synthetic is dot 3/4. Here's a good article by someone we know about brake fluid- http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorc ... fluid.html . The synthetic has a higher boiling point then cheaper dot 3/4 fluids. And you can boil the brake fluid under hard, continuous use. And for ground clearance. My stock 82 gets the biggest (largest dia) tires I can find. I'll put between 50/60 lbs in the rear shock. In the forks it has progressive springs and I made new spacers longer then comes with the springs out of 7/8" pvc. I determine how long to make them by if I can not get the fork caps in they're too long. In other words if the spacers I made were 1/4" longer, I can't put the fork caps on. And I'll put 10lbs air in the forks. In left hand turns I usually end up dragging the foot peg. In ritght turns I usually end up dragging the center stand. Why not the right peg? Roads are crowned for water run off and that gives right turns more banking then left turns. The more banked the turn is, the more centrifucal (did I spell that right?) force compresses the suspension. Another way to improve ground clearance and increase braking efficiency is to remove the fairing and bags on a prolink. But on the other hand if you're not dragging anything then don't worry about ground clearance until you start dragging things. The things I do do not improve the ride. They make the bike a trifle bit stiff (trifle my ass, sometimes it feels like a hard tail chopper). The seat is real important, I had mine done with marine quality cover, dual density foam, and gel. It's bearable. Stock seats arn't and I don't like the corbin either.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

Highmileage
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Highmileage »

Honda used those same shaped brake pads on a variety of bikes and this was why they came in different thicknesses. That EBC /3 thickness is sold for 1200 Gold Wings - the extra weight of these bikes would use up pad quicker so the thicker ones would last langer.

Back when I had one of them and a couple of V-45 Sabres, I had to swap Sabre pads into the Wing in an emergency or half worn Wing pads into a Sabre until I could get new ones.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

I learned something today.... :thumupp:
ICOA # 656

Return to “BRAKES: Calipers, Pads, Lines, Rotors, Upgrades & Fixes”