Aftermarket Brakes for CBX

CBXTony USA
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Aftermarket Brakes for CBX

Post by CBXTony USA »

Does anyone know if Brembo makes an aftermarket kit for front/rear brakes for the CBX?

Or, any other manufacturer out there that may make a big brake kit?

Thanks!
CBXTony USA

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Performance Machine used to but I don't know of any "bolt on" kit available ? It wouldn't be too difficult to make brackets for the calipers with a larger Honda disc setup ?
ICOA # 656

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Re: Aftermarket Brakes for CBX

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

CBXTony USA wrote:Does anyone know if Brembo makes an aftermarket kit for front/rear brakes for the CBX?

Or, any other manufacturer out there that may make a big brake kit?

Thanks!
CBXTony USA
Hi Tony

I do not know of any manufacturer today that makes an aftermarket brake kit for the CBX.

However ......there is a member that used to make a carrier to mount a set of R1 calipers to the stock CBX forks.....then he bolted a set of ST-1100 rotors that went right on the CBX front hub. I will PM you his name and phone number. This is not saying he would do another set.......but it is worth a try. I have to admit this was a while back and I am not 100% sure this is the combination he did, but whatever it was...it was a massive improvement.

As you know for with custom work like this the machine shop setup is the same for 1 set or 5, 10....whatever so you might ask him how much it would be for say 2, 5 and 10 sets to spread the setup costs.......then post the prices here to see if anyone else would go in on this with you. This would make it worth while for him also.

>>>>>>

You might be interested to know that in my view the CBX rear brake is more than adequate and would not need updated. We did a fun brake test at Marlinton one year with early models comparing stopping distances with one CBX using just the fronts on the other CBX just the rear brakes.
Side by side at 60mph up on Rt 150.

Result had the front brake only CBX stopping about 30ft shorter than the rear brake only CBX.....could have been a bit more.......but it was an eye opener for the need of better front brakes on a CBX and to use both front and back brakes on the CBX vs just fronts like with the newer bikes.

In the twisties and esp for braking from speed for a tight turn I have found the best braking for a CBX with stock or 1100f brakes is to use apply the back a millisecond before the front ....then apply both equally hard from that point.

Final Note: I do have mini reservations about a R1 caliper set being able to overwhelm the smaller contact patch of the 100 x 19 front tire in very aggressive braking situations where one might pull the front brake in a bit too hard and fast...........but no high tech articles to back this up.

Let us know how this turns out

Best

Mike

Mike
Last edited by Mike Barone #123 on Mon May 05, 2008 9:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I am using CB1100R brakes on the front of my 79. These are dual piston calipers, similar tot he CB1100F with vented rotors. The rotors are thinner than the Prolink units and thus not as heavy. These work perfectly fine on the CBX and also keep the design of the time.

CBXRoger
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Dunlop pads

Post by CBXRoger »

I replaced the brake pads on my '82 CBX with a sintered bronze pad sold under the name of "Dunlop Pad". My local dealer looked at them and said they were motocross pads. The pad on the piston side of the caliper is ceramic coated to stop the transfer of heat to the brake fluid. After I broke the pads in it was easy to chirp the front tire with just three fingers on the lever. I also mounted a set of these on my Gold Wing sidecar rig.
Freeways are boring. Back roads have character.

Don #6141

Post by Don #6141 »

For an early model, considering the money spent, I would think the 1100F setup would be hard to beat . . . . wouldn't it?

Use the 39mm Pro-Link forks, 1100F wheel, discs and calipers which will give you a fatter 18 inch tire. Assuming you have a '79 or '80, while you're at it upgrade the rear to the 1100F swingarm, shocks, caliper, wheel and disc and you'll have a much fatter 17 inch tire too

Big change for relatively little money - Dave is adding all these parts to my '79 Katrina bike . . . . come see it at Marlinton :D

Don

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Re: Dunlop pads

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

CBXRoger wrote:I replaced the brake pads on my '82 CBX with a sintered bronze pad sold under the name of "Dunlop Pad". My local dealer looked at them and said they were motocross pads. The pad on the piston side of the caliper is ceramic coated to stop the transfer of heat to the brake fluid. After I broke the pads in it was easy to chirp the front tire with just three fingers on the lever. I also mounted a set of these on my Gold Wing sidecar rig.
I am sure some/more/most of the this is what you said.......a superior pad so "it was easy to chirp the front tire with just three fingers on the lever"
Buttttt is it possible that this superior pad is also overwhelming the smaller contact patch of the 100x19 tire as another part of the equation..

I had as set of Ferodo brake pads on my early model way back when it was near young and new.........these were the best pads I ever had on a stock CBX.....and the initial feel was gradual and non threating..... but came on strong after a few moments as if it was a delayed power brake, but controlled

My .03 cents .....
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

Randakk
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Randakk »

I'm working on a project with Dan Fischer for seriously upgraded front CBX brakes for the later Pro-Link models...using stock forks and wheels.

The planned setup under development will include 330mm rotors:

and 6 piston AP Racing Calipers:

I hope to have these installed for folks to see at my Rally in September.
Randall Washington (Randakk)
Founder & Chief Executive Rider
Randakk's Cycle Shakk, LLC
Pinehurst, NC USA
www.randakks.com

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Good news Randy...
I would hasten to add that if an efficient front brake modification were employed, I strongly suggest Prolink (or better) forks & tires with a larger/stickier contact patch to realise the maximum benefit... :wink:
ICOA # 656

Randakk
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Randakk »

alimey4u2 wrote:Good news Randy...
I would hasten to add that if an efficient front brake modification were employed, I strongly suggest Prolink (or better) forks & tires with a larger/stickier contact patch to realise the maximum benefit... :wink:
Agreed.

My riding style is biased toward brakes that can finely control and indeed over-power available front tire traction (on demand). This preference might not be appropriate for all riders.

The 39mm Prolink forks are good and up-to-par with the rest of the chassis and running gear (and I like the look), but we are upgrading the internals with Race-Tech cartridge emulators and also running a fork brace.

Adding more contemporary forks is a good option for better brakes, but that's a slippery slope with it's own set of enginnering challenges. Retaining the OEM Prolink forks and wheels was part of our strategy on this project.
Pinehurst, NC USA
www.randakks.com

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

For me, bigger is better, Randall. The look of the massive rotors and custom calipers looks very trick.
It would be easy to start a slippery slope of "i better get some more power out the engine to catch up to those big brakes."

Randakk
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Randakk »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:For me, bigger is better, Randall. The look of the massive rotors and custom calipers looks very trick.
It would be easy to start a slippery slope of "i better get some more power out the engine to catch up to those big brakes."
Yes. That's why I'm working on the supercharger set-up.
Pinehurst, NC USA
www.randakks.com

Randakk
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Dan Fischer Slideshow

Post by Randakk »

Dan Fischer is maintaining a photo slideshow of the "build" on the killer, "Fish Head" CBX front brake set-up I have commissioned.

http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n130 ... =slideshow

Pretty neat!
Pinehurst, NC USA
www.randakks.com

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Nice... 8) 8)
ICOA # 656

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

have you figured out the weight savings?
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

Return to “BRAKES: Calipers, Pads, Lines, Rotors, Upgrades & Fixes”