Brakes!!!

Tom Whaley
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Brakes!!!

Post by Tom Whaley »

I've got a set of duel piston brake calipers and F model rotors for sale in the ICOA classifieds section. They greatly improve the early model braking ability while losing a little unsprung weight. They come with good used sintered brake pads or for a little bit more they will have new SBS sintered brake pads. The calipers have been totally cleaned, bead blasted, repainted and reassembled with assembly fluid. They have new parts where needed. They also offer about the same braking as the late model brakes but save a lot of unsprung weight. Thanks for reading this post.
Tom Whaley

"aka" The Rocketman

Take care of your CBX's and each other.

Because a club is suppose to be fun. "TIM WARE"

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by sr71cbx »

N/A
Last edited by sr71cbx on Sun May 16, 2004 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Whaley
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Brakes and Batteries!!!

Post by Tom Whaley »

Hey Mark :!: I appreciate the good words on the brakes :D I replaced my battery with a Hawkers Odyssey. It is the same as the Optima. It works much better now :lol:
Tom Whaley

"aka" The Rocketman

Take care of your CBX's and each other.

Because a club is suppose to be fun. "TIM WARE"

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

I'm looking into the Hawker Odyssey batteries you mentioned, as I've got an Optima in my Miata, and think it's the best battery in the world - It's a true "spiral wound AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery."

The Hawkers home page claims their Odyssey is a "sealed dry charge deep cycle battery" and I know they're not spiral wound like the Optimas, but I also can't find anywhere that Hawker claims they are even an AGM battery - I'm wondering what's behind your claim that they're the "same as an Optima?"

I know the Westco is a true AGM battery (they make Miata replacements as well) - Would you rate the Odyssey as better than a Westco, and if so, why??

Thanks,

Don

dkrager
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by dkrager »

Have to go along with Mark on this one. The dual piston caliper upgrade rocks. Having purchased upgrade calipers from Tom in the very recent past I have to say that the attention to detail he puts into rebuilding them is unmatched. Thanks again Tom!!!

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Odyssey Batteries

Post by EMS »

The first Odyssey I used was in my KZ1300, which is notorious for poor cold start. Compared with a wet cell, it performed awesome. We have a 5? month "no-riding" season in Northeast Ohio and I take all the batteries out of the bikes and keep them on a Deltran tender. First year, I left the Odyssey sitting untended and the charge drop over the 5? months was really, really low. Next battery that was up was for my wife's XLH and I bought an Odyssey based on the good experience. Again, flawless performance. Just got the third one for my R100RT mainly because battery maintenance on BMWs is a nightmare due to the lousy access. I don't know whether the Odyssey is an "AGM" or other type dry cell and quite frankly, I don't care. The price/performance&life ratio is awesome compared to a lead-acid unit. No battery lasts forever anyway.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

The OEM wet cell battery is 18 Amp Hours.

The Hawker Odyssey replacement is 13 Amp Hours, and costs $96.00

The Westco sealed AGM replacement is 22 Amp Hours and costs $74.00

It's not uncommon for AGM batteries like the Westco to last for 6 to 8 years, in many applications - I don't know how long it will last in a CBX, but I think I'm gonna give it a shot.

Don

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

brakes to batteries?

Post by sr71cbx »

//
Last edited by sr71cbx on Sun May 16, 2004 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

From Brakes to Batteries

Post by EMS »

I have no idea how we managed to turn this, which was originally a "brake" posting into a "battery" thread. Oh, well! Just got a new sales flyer from "Competition Accessories" in Springfield, Ohio. They sell Westco batteries through mail order. Prices are lower than the Yuasa's GRT, but a 12V22 is $87.95

1-800-343-5921 or www.competitionaccessories.com

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

$74 here, and the price includes free shipping - http://www.4unique.com/battery/honda-mo ... teries.htm

Don

Fondahonda
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Fondahonda »

I get it; brakes and batteries both begin with "b". Do I win? Oh well. Just installed the Westco I got from Battery Stuff in the 1100F, and I'll definitey get one for the CBX, as well. Sure am gonna miss adding water.

Return to “BRAKES: Calipers, Pads, Lines, Rotors, Upgrades & Fixes”