Plea for advice from UK

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Mark, The problem lies "if" it were a bearing failure it would be close to catastrophic, It could fail at any time with dire results.... Visual bearing inspection would be number 1 on my list. Look for obvious play (side & end play) also galling ( evident roughness in rotation) collapsed cage/ balls/rollers & discoloration....
I don't "think" ( no expert on Comstars remember) they are sealed & would therefore require cleaning (prior to inspection) & grease on installation....
If you don't have any joy, I'm sure I will be available ( second pair of eyes) before riding season...
ICOA # 656

Dave Ditner
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Location: Oxford, Michigan except for winter, Wildwood Florida then

Crushed spacer

Post by Dave Ditner »

Those parts are pretty substantial. I don't know if you'd be able to crush them before the threads on the axle stripped. I'd bet something else.
Davey

9 Xs: 4-79s, 1-80, 1-81 and 3-82s

OSCARMARK
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Another thought

Post by OSCARMARK »

I was looking at the wheel whilst on the bench.... Is it possible, with all the spacer and bearings in place, for the offside spacer ( the one that butts against the V bracket ) to have 'sunk' into the hub?

What I am trying to say, is... the spacer sits against the bearing inside the hub... if the bearing has shifted, even 1mm or 2mm, then this would cause the effect of the V bracket making contact ith the disc as described?

Just another one of my many thoughts on the subject.....

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

I just remember replacing the bearings in the rear wheel on a 79 and the bearings did not fit all the way into the wheel against the ridge machined in the wheel hub. It was like the spacer was too long. It was on a wheel that had never had the bearings out as far as I could tell. I've also had rear wheel bearing failure in a couple early CBX's. I might take apart an early 79 wheel I have and check the spacer and wheel width's but right now that wheel is in NC and I'm in CA.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Re: Another thought

Post by alimey4u2 »

OSCARMARK wrote:I was looking at the wheel whilst on the bench.... Is it possible, with all the spacer and bearings in place, for the offside spacer ( the one that butts against the V bracket ) to have 'sunk' into the hub
Mark, The pictures show this not to be the case ? The bearing retainer "seems" (if anything) to be proud ?? This locates on the outer bearing ring. The spacer locates on the inner bearing ring. If all is bolted up tight ( which would be indicated by the factory assembled punch marks .) The only way the inner bearing ring has moved is if the wrong bearing ( incorrect width of the inner ring) is installed, incorrect installation or extreme side thrust wear . However.... the gap between the bearing retainer & the flange of the spacer seems OK ....Or is it ?? All very confusing I'm afraid..... :eyecrazy:

ICOA # 656

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

ICOA # 656

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

I've had numerous problems over the years with rear wheel bearings and brake rotor clearance on early CBX's. To me anything that's not Pro Link is early to clarify my terminology. On the rotor clearance problems if the caliper did not appear straight, I'd straighten out the caliper holder with a BFH. If the calpier appeared straight, I'd add shims to get clearance between the rotor and holder. The problems always been on the outside of the rotor. As far as wheel bearings go, the spacer in the wheel has always been longer then the space for it in the wheel. I don't torque the retainer down, I just get it snug and center punch it so it won't come undone. If you replace the wheel bearings and get the retainer really tight, the bearing might not last long. All the X's I've had to replace rear wheel bearings had them replaced before.
YOU'RE THE ONE

OSCARMARK

Thanks again guys

Post by OSCARMARK »

The photograph really helps.....................

As mentioned in an earlier post the distance from from face of the bearing retainer to the outside edge of the spacer was about 8mm ( would that be correct? )

I think I might just as well replace the bearings anyway??
I assume that is a "pig of a job"???

Kind regards

Mark

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

Yes it is, if the retainer has never been out, that's 28 years of corrosion holding it in. Don't try it without the proper tool. A punch won't budge the retainer usually. The bearings are inexpensive and easy to install once you get the old one's out.
YOU'RE THE ONE

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Thanks again guys

Post by EMS »

OSCARMARK wrote:The photograph really helps.....................

As mentioned in an earlier post the distance from from face of the bearing retainer to the outside edge of the spacer was about 8mm ( would that be correct? )

I think I might just as well replace the bearings anyway??
I assume that is a "pig of a job"???

Kind regards

Mark

That is the 9mm I measured on my 79.

cbx6ss
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbx6ss »

Isn't the caliper supposed to kinda float on the two mount pins with the rubber boots? When I reconditioned mine I cleaned and greased both the pins and the sleeves that seem to slide on them. This allows the caliper to align to the rotor.
/r
B

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

cbx6ss wrote:Isn't the caliper supposed to kinda float on the two mount pins with the rubber boots? When I reconditioned mine I cleaned and greased both the pins and the sleeves that seem to slide on them. This allows the caliper to align to the rotor.
/r
B
Correct but its the caliper support bracket that's contacting.....
ICOA # 656

Dave Ditner
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Location: Oxford, Michigan except for winter, Wildwood Florida then

Brake Drag

Post by Dave Ditner »

If a 2mm spacer fixes it, odds are there is a wrong spacer in the mix someplace. How much clearance exists between the inside of the swing arm and the spacers when there is no tension on the axle bolt. There shouldn't be much of a gap.
Davey

9 Xs: 4-79s, 1-80, 1-81 and 3-82s

OSCARMARK

Post by OSCARMARK »

I placed a 40mm dia stainless washer ( 1.5mm thick ) between the spacer and the rotor.... adjusted the chain fixed the caliper and everything is absolutely 'spot on'
The wheel spins freely and true.

My next problem came when I tried to bleed the system!!! :cry:

It seemed to take for ever for the fluid to make it to the caliper, that was when I noticed that there was fluid leaking from the bottom of the master cylinder. I had rebuilt it with new pis :oops: ton, seals and spring etc... so another master cylinder strip down!!

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Mark, As a final check, ensure the rear wheel is not off center (alignment) by 1.5mm ??
ICOA # 656

Return to “BRAKES: Calipers, Pads, Lines, Rotors, Upgrades & Fixes”