Plea for advice from UK

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Sir, i hope you get the brake misalignment sorted out shortly, but i would like to see some more pics of your exhaust. I do not think i have seen one the same.

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:Sir, i hope you get the brake misalignment sorted out shortly, but i would like to see some more pics of your exhaust. I do not think i have seen one the same.
They do look nice don't they? Maybe start another thread under Exhausts with pics?
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

Terry wrote:
steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:Sir, i hope you get the brake misalignment sorted out shortly, but i would like to see some more pics of your exhaust. I do not think i have seen one the same.
They do look nice don't they? Maybe start another thread under Exhausts with pics?
Those pipes are cool. They look different from the South African Powerflows. I wonder if someone still makes them?

I agree a thread in exhausts with some more pix would be good. :)

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Re: Another thought

Post by alimey4u2 »

OSCARMARK wrote: Any imperfection will be taken up by the calliper when fitted???

Any requests for me to take any photos, I will try and post them to clear up any issues.

Thanks again guys

Mark
Need to sort out these issues before the calipers are fitted as it's a tolerance problem with the caliper bracket.....
ICOA # 656

OSCARMARK
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by OSCARMARK »

I now have 3 brackets - the one that came off the bike when the brake seized..... This has the scoring on the outside edge ( in exactly the same area as you can see contact on the photographs.
Another which was supplied by Mel Watkins ( UK Chairman - thanks Mel )

And finally another I bought on eBay because it was still fitted with the splash guard... the original melted away.

Comparing all three, they look identical with no obvious twists or bending.

Another possibility which hasn't been mentioned. that the offside ( right hand - for the benefit of our American friends ) may have been slightly twisted :( :(
If it was slightly bent in at the top end, this would cause the bracket to be slightly out of line?? I hope I am way off the mark..........

As far as the exhausts go, I will post some pics on the exhaust forum... if I can figure out how to do it.... maybe my friend Larry could post them for me?

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

E-Mail them to me Mark & I will post them for you if you wish, I know the members are dieing to see more...... 8)
ICOA # 656

OSCARMARK

Post by OSCARMARK »

Thanks Larry,

I will send them this evening........ the exhaust strand seems to be taking off!!

Mark

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

OSCARMARK wrote:Another possibility which hasn't been mentioned. that the offside ( right hand - for the benefit of our American friends ) may have been slightly twisted :( :(
If it was slightly bent in at the top end, this would cause the bracket to be slightly out of line?? I hope I am way off the mark..........
You lost me here. I don't quite understand what you mean.
The location of the bracket relative to the brake rotor is only determined by rotor location on the wheel, and -assuming that everything is O.K. inside the wheel - spacer length and width of bracket "hub"(for lack of better word). A bent bracket sure would be a problem too, but I thought you replaced it and they were the same. I would be interested in some measurements and see how they compare to the 9mm spacer extension in my earlier post.

OSCARMARK

Post by OSCARMARK »

Thanks EMS,
I am not working this weekend and plan to take measurements as you suggested. I will let you know asap. I will also try and take some close ups of the spindle area..

Thanks again

Mark

OSCARMARK

Post by OSCARMARK »

I have now measured the distance that the spacer protrudes from the bearing retainer on the disc side and it is about 8-9mm. The spacer sits nice and square into the hub.

Regards

Mark

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Mark, Could you pop the wheel out & take a pic of the right hand side bearing retainer "3". If all the components are correct ( & assembled correctly) for your year & are straight, the bearing retainer would have to be moved in a few millimeters. A picture would show that to be true or false ??
ICOA # 656

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

ICOA # 656

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Well my theory is wrong ..... :oops:
ICOA # 656

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Re: Plea for advice from UK

Post by alimey4u2 »

OSCARMARK wrote:
The rear master cylinder had siezed. The disc was heavily scored on the outside edge ( about 25mm ) and even after removing the calliper, I was unable to rotate the wheel without some effort. The disc was fouling on the "V" bracket. If you looked from the rear of the bike, instead of the disc running through the gaps in the bracket ( where the calliper mounts ) it was rubbing against the outside edge of the bracket.
I realised that the disc may have been damaged by the heat.
Courtesy of the UK Chairman Mel, I was able to source a replacement disc and bracket.
I'm looking over this again. OK... All was fine, master cylinder had seized clamping the pads on but even after the caliper was removed the wheel was difficult to rotate due to rubbing on the "V" caliper bracket. Upon replacement of the disc & bracket with known good spares, the same scenario persists ?? What else could have been damaged I say to myself ?? Could the bearings have failed (not the master cylinder,) dragging the V-bracket causing the havoc ?? I keep coming back to bearing failure but there seems to be no "external" evidence.... :?
ICOA # 656

OSCARMARK

Post by OSCARMARK »

Larry,
You are spot on with your synopsis... although the master cylinder was completely gone!! If the washer protruded another 2mm, the disc would run nice and centrally through the gaps in the V bracket, the inside of the hub looks fine and the bearing ( what I can see of it, looks intact )

If there had been a failure of the bearing within the hub and the washer sank in a couple of mm this would bring the V bracket in contact with the disc........... which is what happened. :(

I am going to try and source a 2mm washer and fit it between the protruding washer and the V bracket.......... see what happens.

:?: :?: :?:

Return to “BRAKES: Calipers, Pads, Lines, Rotors, Upgrades & Fixes”