recondition brake system

DevonCbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

recondition brake system

Post by DevonCbx »

Well I am attempting once and for all the brake system. On the brake master cyl. how do I get at the snap ring? Also I atempted to get at the snap ring and tore the rubber boot. Off to a great start huh? When I removed the brake pistons they donnot want to go back in . Is there a trick to this? Also it says in the manual that I need to replace the oil seal. Is that a good idea? To me they look good. Thanks
Duane

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

I had to custom grind the tips of a pair of needle nose pliers to get at that snap ring. I ground the tips to sharp points and was able to get the ring out.

The pistons are a real tight tolerance to their bores. They need to be put back in at just the right angle to get them to go in.

Rebuild kits for the stock brakes are relatively inexpensive and it is a pretty good idea to replace those seals.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Take your time and be careful. The ring isn't that hard to remove using a pick or snap ring pliers.
You'll also want to clean the grove that the seal rides in. I use an old can openr for this. You know, the can openers we used to make the triangular holes in the beer cans before pull tabs. Don't tell me you don't remember pull tabs either.
Lube the seals and pistons with brake fluid to re-assemble. It makes things slip together SO much nicer.
Good luck....
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Bud
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Bud »

Motion Pro makes a pair of snap ring pliers for master cylinder work. They have a 90 degree bend and are long reach. Most other snap ring pliers wont reach in far enough. I have used a pair of ice picks to do the job in the past with good results. If your not old enough to know what an ice pick is it's like a scratch awl only thinner and longer.

Return to “BRAKES: Calipers, Pads, Lines, Rotors, Upgrades & Fixes”