Power Poster
Power Poster

Brake of the future perhaps??

Post by broook »

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

On a poser bike like this, they need a brake only when they unload the thing from the trailer. So I guess it would work. For a serious application, I would be worried about the heat dissipation. The semi-enclosed design and small package does not seem to be adequate for this purpose.

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

EMS wrote:On a poser bike like this, they need a brake only when they unload the thing from the trailer. So I guess it would work. For a serious application, I would be worried about the heat dissipation. The semi-enclosed design and small package does not seem to be adequate for this purpose.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

I like the flowers on the bottom of the page mo better..... :lol:

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by broook »

alimey4u2 wrote:I like the flowers on the bottom of the page mo better..... :lol:

I didn`t think anybody would notice that Larry. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave Ditner
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Location: Oxford, Michigan except for winter, Wildwood Florida then

360 Brake

Post by Dave Ditner »

Damnit, I lost my BULLSHIT stamp when I retired from brake development 10 year ago. Sure could use it now. Wanna make a better brake? Make it bigger, and get it in the airstream so it can cool. I think most people here understand the concept of leverage. Consider the radius of the rotor to be a lever, and you'll see how much more force has to be generated with a small diameter rotor than a larger one. Look at the new Buell front brake, a single rotor and you'll understand. Ever put humungo wheels and tires on a mud bogging truck and wonder why you really got to climb on the pedal to stop the damn thing? Look at the ratio between the rotor diameter and the wheel diameter. Second is the issue of brake temperature. If you look at the specific heat of steel or cast iron you'll see they're pretty low. Rotors weigh what, about 3 lbs. Now consider the energy involved in a 900 lb vehicle at 60 mph, and you get an idea of the cooling required to keep the rotor from melting. And they've got this little rotor buried in a shroud, completely encompassed by a piston and lining material??? WHERE'S MY STAMP???

Then they talk about the front end dropping during the stop. That's a function of a number of things, shock and fork valving, spring rates, the location of the center of gravity, and the decelleration rate. The only involvement of the brake is to generate decel. For equal decel rates, there will be equal suspension compression.

And this guy pissed away a couple of million in development??? :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Davey

9 Xs: 4-79s, 1-80, 1-81 and 3-82s

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

They listed a bar along with the people who helped them with testing (product evaluation). Not that I have anything against bar's. I wish I was there for the testing. I could see my write-up: "After a few brews, the bike still stops like it hit a brick wall."
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

cbxtacy wrote:I could see my write-up: "After a few brews, the bike still stops like it hit a brick wall."

That's two chuckles I've had from you today George & one from Phil..... :lol: :thumupp:

Return to “BRAKES: Calipers, Pads, Lines, Rotors, Upgrades & Fixes”