Too high?

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Too high?

Post by Terry »

Over $200 for a used rotor? He has both but is selling them separately.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 885&rd=1,1
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

You see his reasoning. He compares it to the price of new. :|

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Re: Too high?

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

Terry wrote:Over $200 for a used rotor? He has both but is selling them separately.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 885&rd=1,1

Are the bolts extra!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yuppppp...it's a problem for all these new CBX buyers compelled to restore to stock..........they pay these high prices for parts and in this case when done installing stock brake parts .......their CBX still doesn't stop, looks great in bke shows!:suspect: :suspect: :suspect: :suspect: :suspect: :suspect:
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

My 82 had an EBC rotor on the rear when I got it and I'm sure I'll need front rotors very soon (80,000 miles+) but for $500, just to get OE (used) rotors???? What could new EBC rotors cost?
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

A good set of 81/82 rotors should not be more than $200.- max. The problem with any aftermarket replacement is, you have to replace the calipers, because the Prolink rotors are vented and thus much thicker than normal rotors.

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

Or use thicker pads in the calipers. My roadrace bike has CBR600F-3 wheels front and rear. CBX forks and calipers. There are 3 different thicknesses of pads you can get. I believe the ebc is FA69/3 for the front of the 81/82 CBX. The FA69/1 and /2 are both thicker then the /3 and both fit when you have thinner calipers. It also helps if you can replace the rotor with a floater.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

Louis
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Louis »

Mike, You are correct on the price I sell a set of used 81/82 rotors for $200.00 but a new ones will be close to $500.00 for the set. Louis

Douglas
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Douglas »

EMS wrote:A good set of 81/82 rotors should not be more than $200.- max. The problem with any aftermarket replacement is, you have to replace the calipers, because the Prolink rotors are vented and thus much thicker than normal rotors.
hey-Hey!!!,
Look for CB750/900/Nighthawk...etc calipers. Same look and configuration as the Pro-Link's but for thinner rotors. These should be much more common...though I would worry about where a replacement rotor would ride on them. Is it matching the inside or outside. Given I ran a VFR750( 1987 vintage ) caliper on the rear of my X when I had to revert to the Comstar I suspect Honda did a pretty thorough job on the interchangeability front. Hell, I bet the nice gold-painted VFR calipers would work all around if the rotors were the right thickness. Same goes for the Sabre and Magna calipers.
cheers,
Douglas

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

cbxtacy wrote:Or use thicker pads in the calipers.
Like George said, get thicker pads.

On a lot of the 80's era Honda's that used twin piston calipers, the OEM pads on the rear are thicker, different part #'s, but some of the replacement market pads are all the same front and back, same part #'s.

Return to “BRAKES: Calipers, Pads, Lines, Rotors, Upgrades & Fixes”