Brake pad wear

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Brake pad wear

Post by Terry »

When I R&Rd the rear wheel on my 82 for a new tire I noticed the outer brake pad was worn far worse than the inside pad. Can I simply reverse the two or should I install a new pad? The inside pad looked almost new.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Funny that you mention that. I remember, I bought a set of rear replacement pads a few years ago for my 81 and the pads were of unequal thickness. I asked the question why and nobody I knew had an answer.

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

I saw brake pad shims for sale here, no pic though,

http://www.cbxman.com/detail.aspx?ID=820

Could that be what they're for somehow? The front pads are wearing perfectly even. I still have OE rotors up front but an EBC rotor in back. BTW, everything was going along smoothly putting the front wheel back on tonight with new rubber (6 ply nylon Kenda actually) and SNAP, my brand new el cheapo torque wrench snapped off the smaller of the two caliper bracket bolts on the left side!!!! :( :shock:

Suppose HondaInc. still has any or am I going to have to shop for a replacement at OSH? Hopefully the 'stub' won't be too hard to remove. And I was going to break in the new Kendas tomorrow with a ride up 101/1 to the giant redwoods. Well, I suppose I can take the 79 or the Busa... :D
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

All the calipers on CBX's are floating calipers. Most all modern sport bikes and sport tourers have fixed calipers.

Floating Calipers: The pistons are all on the outside. The caliper floats on pins to insure the pads wear evenly. It don't work too good. Things bend, bind, and the inside pad usually lasts a lot longer then the outside. When I assemble brakes, I clean, squirt a little silicon spray on, and grease the pins that the caliper and pads ride on.

Fixed Calipers: Have pistons on the inside and outside. They usually have floating rotors also. Much better system.

CBX brakes are heavy and extremely in-efficient. I could post a whole bunch on this subject but I gotta sleep and drive from Joplin, MO to Chicago area tomorrow. I'll cover them when I get back to Chula Vista and post pic's also.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

Dave Ditner
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Location: Oxford, Michigan except for winter, Wildwood Florida then

Post by Dave Ditner »

[quote="Terry"]I saw brake pad shims for sale here, no pic though,

http://www.cbxman.com/detail.aspx?ID=820

Could that be what they're for somehow? Nope. They're supposed to be a noise fix
Davey

9 Xs: 4-79s, 1-80, 1-81 and 3-82s

Return to “BRAKES: Calipers, Pads, Lines, Rotors, Upgrades & Fixes”