Binding brakes, or normal for '81 CBX?

BayArchitect
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Binding brakes, or normal for '81 CBX?

Post by BayArchitect »

Just purchased '81 CBX with 3K original miles on it. Bike looks new, however, going thru and upgrading a few things. When the bike is stopped, and the front wheel is straight, the bike can be easily moved front or rear, however, when the wheel is turned slightly, pads rub against rotors and make it very difficult to move the bike. When wheel is locked left or right, bike cannot be moved forward or backward. Can someone explain this to me? Thanks.

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

That does sound unusual.

A bike with that little mileage shouldn't have issues but............

you should check your front wheel mount. Make sure the wheel is properly mounted/centered and not loose.

Axle bearings could also potentially cause binding issues like you describe but usually on bikes with a lot of miles.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Hmmm, Interesting one this, as Chris had previously said I would look at wheel bearings. Firstly isolate the cause, front or back but there may be something else going on....

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

Make sure the brake lines are free and clear of anything twisting them out of shape when the wheel is turned.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

BayArchitect
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by BayArchitect »

Thanks for the replies. No lines or other objects running interference with the wheel turned. Bearings or axle really sounds like the culprit. Will check it tomorrow and report back.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Have you paid close attention if it happens only when you turn the wheel fully to the left? :shock: Your front brake lever may hit the fairing and lock the brake :roll:

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Hello,

I don't think I would go to far until I figured it out.

Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

Dave Ditner
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Location: Oxford, Michigan except for winter, Wildwood Florida then

Binding?

Post by Dave Ditner »

Odds are you need a brake rebuild. Could be both calipers and master cylinder. Open the bleeder screws on the calipers one at a time, put a piece of tygon on the open screw so that the tygon points to the floor, take a hammer and wood block and drive the caliper inward some. Do the same to the other side. I bet it rolls then. IF so get back to me and we'll go to the next steps.
Davey

9 Xs: 4-79s, 1-80, 1-81 and 3-82s

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Binding Brakes for '81

Post by Larry Zimmer »

I agree, Dave. Been sitting that much without exercising the brake pistons, probably frozen. If they need to be pulled apart for cleaning (and they probably do) I remember reading somewhere that a good means of loosening the 'crud' that forms in the piston bores, etc. is to put the caliper and pistons into boiling water AFTER REMOVING THE RUBBER STUFF. The crud will easily come off after soaking a little while this way. Naturally, be certain everything is dry before reassembly.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

mowogme
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by mowogme »

had the exact same problem on a 1979 I bought. Turns out, some moron had screwed the nut that goes on the axle to hold the bearings and spacers on backwards. The wheel will still bolt into the fork legs. Check to make sure the hexagon is to the inside of the fork leg. What was happening was the wheel was floating backwards and forward, the only thing centering it being the brake calipers. Brakes would also heat up big time even on a short run.
Got that problem solved, but still had a bad brake binding problem. turns out that the master cylinder was at fault. There is a tiny hole (.015' dia) in the bottom of the resevoir which was blocked. this hole lets the pressure equalise. if it is blocked, every time you apply the brake and the fluid warms up it expands, and will not let the brake release. Hope this sorts your problems.
bob.

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

BayArchitect wrote:Thanks for the replies. No lines or other objects running interference with the wheel turned. Bearings or axle really sounds like the culprit. Will check it tomorrow and report back.
Hey, you know you live just a few minutes from me. Are you ever going to get that CBX on the road? :P :lol:
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The original post is over a year old. :!: Leon may be riding his CBX by now 8)

mowogme

Post by mowogme »

yeah, I relised the post was old, but figured out my problems may help someone out in the future.

Bob.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Thanks, Bob, and welcome to the ICOA site :!:

Return to “BRAKES: Calipers, Pads, Lines, Rotors, Upgrades & Fixes”