1980 Rear Brake

Passx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

80 rear brake

Post by Passx »

Eric/Guy's,

What you have here is an early model 80, my 80 (SN #175) had the same deal. Tim Ware told me that a lot of the very early 80's still used the 79 rear brake. I know that mine has not been changed and when I rebuilt it had to buy the parts for the 79, no biggie. What is the S/N on your's Eric ?

Steve P. #5220
80x
81X
76 GL

busaboy
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

rear brake

Post by busaboy »

That's what I thought had happened, as well.

Fortunately (and much to my embarrassment), when I double-checked my measurement later, I realized I had been reading the caliper incorrectly. My rear brake turned out to be a standard 1980, with a 38mm rear piston - exactly what Honda sells (for a ridiculous price!).

One fundamental problem in this whole exercise is that Tims lists the rear piston for the '80 as the same as the front, which is definitely not the case.

I ordered one of Tim's pistons they list for the '79, and it is indeed 38mm diameter, vice ca. 43mm for the front, but is about 5mm shorter than the '80. I guess it could work in a pinch.

If anyone wants to buy a brand new K&L rear brake piston for a '79, I will sell it for a substantial discount!!

thanks -
Eric

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

That's the brakes!

Post by sr71cbx »

((
Last edited by sr71cbx on Sun May 16, 2004 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

busaboy
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

rear brake

Post by busaboy »

Outcome was good - all brakes back together, all operating freely, and the bike is back on the road!!

Thanks to all for their input...
Eric

Passx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

80 Brakes

Post by Passx »

Hey Mark,

Who you callin "oddball" ? Seriously though, since you drag raced your bike a lot did it cause any problems with the swingarm pivot or the Comstars ? The reason I ask and I realize this was a brake discussion is that my 80 really handles like crap and the problem seems to be in the rear and my bike was heavily drag raced before I got it. I know that Mike B. really has a handle on making these handle by using the 1100 f stuff but the 80 handles much worse than my recently aquired 81 and from what everyone says this shouldn't be, maybe this should be taken off the list ? Steve P. #5220

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by sr71cbx »

//
Last edited by sr71cbx on Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Passx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Passx »

Thanks Mark,

That's kind of what the plan is, to replace the shocks, pull the swingarm and replace the bearings and if it's still squirelly I will pull the rear wheel off of the 81 and try it to verify if it's wheel or tire related. Do you know offhand if the 81 wheel will fit directly on then 80, I don't see a reason why not but before I have both in pieces and then find out....anyway thanks for the input. Steve P. 5220

Passx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Passx »

Thanks Mark,

That's kind of what the plan is, to replace the shocks, pull the swingarm and replace the bearings and if it's still squirelly I will pull the rear wheel off of the 81 and try it to verify if it's wheel or tire related. Do you know offhand if the 81 wheel will fit directly on then 80, I don't see a reason why not but before I have both in pieces and then find out....anyway thanks for the input. Steve P. 5220

Post by Guest »

Yes PM is still around: http://www.performancemachine.com/

I'd also like to update my stock 80 brakes. Haven't called PM to find out if they still carry brakes for the X. If anyone does please post the details here. I think the model is 125x4r, not sure.

Anyone have details on braided stainless steel lines? Can't have new calipers with new lines :wink:

Thanks

andy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by andy »

CBX Performance (Bob Franzke) carries braided steel lines from Russel.
75 Kawa F7, 71 CB500-4, 79 750F, 82 750 Sabre, 83 Suzuki XN85 TURBO, 81 CBX, 69 CB750 X 14 (like those old Honda's a little)

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Have had good luck with Galfer SS braided lines. They have a site and an 800 number. Turnaround was a week or less.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

Return to “BRAKES: Calipers, Pads, Lines, Rotors, Upgrades & Fixes”