Front brake hoses

allilump
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Front brake hoses

Post by allilump »

I'm thinking of replacing the stock front brake hoses on my 79 with stainless braided ones. Looks like the CBX suppliers out there have Russell, Galfer and Spiegler brands. Any experience/preference with any of these? How about pads.....any brand preferences? Thanks & have a nice holiday!

Steve
Have an Xellent day! Steve #5526

72 BMW R75/5 Toaster, 79 CBX

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

I run Galfer lines on mine along with EBC pads. No worries with either.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I put Russell brake lines on my '80 this summer along with CB1100F calipers. The improved performance is no doubt due mainly to the caliper upgrade, but they look cool though.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I've used both pre-made and self assembled lines, the latter from Goodridge. Both help braking feel. The difference is that the set I purchased covered w/ clear tubing got moisture inside the clear and now looks dirty, while on the self-assembled set, I covered with heat shrink tubing so they look nearly like stock lines.

I've put EBC pads on several bikes now and have been pleased with the results. Lines, pads, and careful bleeding will give you two-fingered stopping on an otherwise stock early model CBX.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

Hi Steve

I took my old lines to a local airplane supply company and they had the right size lines in stock, then cut them to size for me.

Plus....they gave me a neat how to book for installing the aircraft fittings on the lines.

Cost was $80 or so and I sort of figure if the parts there were aircraft certified they should work on a CBX.

Another option doing it this way, is to buy a longer bolt for the master cylinder which they had in stock and run both lines from the master cylinder direct to the calipers vs going with one line from the master cylinder to the junction box and then two lines to the calipers. Saves on the fitting count and cost...plus reduces possible leakage points

Best

Mike

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

I like Spiegler, their the only DOT approved brake line out of all that have been mentioned above.

They also come with a 359 degree swiveling head for a perfect fit, the fittings and hose coverings come in an assortment of colors and you can get SS or Kevlar.

I have them on my 99 ZRX

jb

Robert Hill

Post by Robert Hill »

The longer bolt you mention is already on your CBX, compliments of Honda. Just remove the bolt from the left side of the brake splitter. It has two hoses attached to it, one from the mc, the other to the right caliper.

I too did this mod, using russell hoses and dot-5 fluid, about 10 years ago. Brake feel is much improved, and bleeding is easier due to the horizontal air trap called the splitter being gone.

Robert Hill

Oklahoma City

Return to “BRAKES: Calipers, Pads, Lines, Rotors, Upgrades & Fixes”