Big Crank Batteries

Companies or individuals that provide parts/accessories/services for our CBXs.

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Big Crank Batteries

Post by SteveG »

Hello All!

These batteries came highly reccomended over at CB1100F.net, and I got one for my 900F from http://www.batterymart.com. Awesome!! Cranks like mad, never have to recharge (hook Battery Tender Jr. up and inside 10 minutes shows full charge), made in America, excellent price.......). No, I have no affiliation with them.

Just bought one to replace my '82 CBX battery, which I got from CBXMan back around 04-05. I had the Yuasa YTX20H(L)-BS, and it has served me well (obviously) for the last 7-8 years. I am concerned that the Yuasa only shows 12.3 volts. Charge til my heart is content, showing 13+ volts while on the charger, and a couple hours later it is down to 12.3. Still starts the CBX nicely, but, um, 7 + years? Thanks for your service.

So, infatuated as I am with the Big Cranks (maybe the name?!?), I am going for one in the CBX also.

I went back to http://www.batterymart.com and scored the "optional" battery for my X. They list two batteries for the X's, and I went big. The Yuasa was a little small in the battery tray, and I had to shim out the length with a hockey puck. This one should fit without any spacers.

The "optional" battery I got:

Big Crank ETX18L, 12V20Ah, 340cca, 8.13"x3.56"x6.38", for $89.95.
http://www.batterymart.com/c-honda-cbx1 ... ttery.html

The "standard" battery:

Big Crank ETX20L, 12V17.5Ah, 310cca, 6.88"x3.44"x6.13", for $85.95.
http://www.batterymart.com/p-Big-Crank- ... rt-battery

If you want to save 10%, enter the super, secret, special code of "MEMORIAL12" as you go through the checkout process. I have no idea how long the code is good for, but I did it and saved the 10%, so I got the ETX18L for $80.95 delivered to the house.

Steve
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Big Crank Batteries

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Had great service for 5 years from the Big Crank 20L in the '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I have ben using Westco's AGM, originally for the Goldwing. It fills out the space for the battery very nicely without the need for a spacer. And they have worked flawelessly in my 79 and the 81 for ??years.

One point of caution, however: AGMs (is the Big Crank an AGM?) do NOT like deep discharges. If you let them sit for a long time or have a user draw a constant current (e.g: clock) and discharge them, they will not recover.
They may show full charge on the charger, but as soon as you put a load on them, they go down on their knees.

And for those of you, who are still using a small battery, here is a spacer:

No kidding!! That's the orignal Honda spacer as it came new in my German spec 1979 CBX. Stock batteries were really small. Remember, no automatic lights when running, thus also a smaller alternator. Saved weight!
Last edited by EMS on Thu May 24, 2012 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Before you toss the AGM or deep cycle marine battery that won't take a charge, you can sometime save them by shocking the battery. I have a starter/charger with a 60 AMP setting, I have saved a few deep cycle batteries by putting them on the high 40 AMP setting for 45 mins, then reducing the setting to 10 AMPs for a couple hours then 2 AMPS over night.

Worth a try before shelling out another $100

PS it's a good idea to shock the battery outside for that first 45mins and keep an eye on it.
Last edited by Jeff Bennetts on Thu May 24, 2012 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Battery technology is moving forward. I just put a new battery in the XX, 410 cranking amps, and it's half the size of a CBX battery. But, it was over $150.

For some real cranking power, you can now buy "super capacitors" that look like a battery, but one unit will supply the "go" of 4 regular lead/acid batteries. They are becoming popular in places where you need a gang of batteries for regular service, such as semis and motorhomes.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Rick Pope wrote: . They are becoming popular in places where you need a gang of batteries for regular service, such as semis and motorhomes.

Yeah, but who would own something like that... :teasing-poke:

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I have never tried a Big Crank, but I heard a lot of people praising them. So I ordered one for my CB1100R. I must admit, a great deal. From the discounted price of $71.95, they gave me another 10% to bring the total to $64.75 and free shipping on top of that. No way you can beat that! Thanks for this, Steve! 8)

Quickster2
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Quickster2 »

I have a Big Crank in my '80 and so far good results. I bought the "smaller one" and got the NOS spacer from Louis last year. It started my bike in 20 degree weather several times before I bought a Battery Tender Jr. Big Crank from now on in my house!

bigsixman
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bigsixman »

I received my Big Crank AGM standard battery for my 79 CBX yesterday and after afew minutes on my Battery Tender the green light came on and I installed it in my 40* garage and I am amazed at how hard it spins the motor. It is my first AGM style battery and my initial impression is that I am impressed with the performance of the battery and the service and fast shipping from Battery Mart.
1979 red CBX
1979 silver CBX

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Rick, sounds like a Shorai -- Lithium Iron Phos. Great 'little' things.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “CBX Parts & Accessory Suppliers, Dealerships, Mechanics, OEM Parts, Speciality CBX Shops”