unknown bike history

short-edd
New Member & Happy To Be Here

unknown bike history

Post by short-edd »

Firstly apologies if this is the wrong section.

I would like to know more about the history of my CBX, (good or bad)
armed only with the following information;

A 1980 model in Candy red, Frame no; SC03 2001272 & engine No; SC03E 2001261
and the clock in KPH, this bike was imported into the UK 2002, Marking at back of motor; 54 7. 4
trail ends. 62

Can anyone advise where, how or who could provide me with more history.
Regards
Edd.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: unknown bike history

Post by daves79x »

It is a Japanese-made 1980 model and the frame/engine numbers are original to each other. The numbers on the back are the build date and number in sequence on that day (just for the engine). Not many '80s went to countries with KPH speedos - Canada comes to mind and maybe OZ/NZ?

Dave

short-edd

Post by short-edd »

Excellent, many thanks Dave, this is a great start that gives me a base line to work from.
Edd.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I would like to add that it is not unheard of, but rare to have the engine serial number higher than the frame serial number.
According to the Honda documentation, 1980 models sold in Canada were all serial number SC03-201296 and higher. I will have to disagree with Dave, inasmuch that OZ/NZ did not get any 1980 models officially.
One other possibility would be South Africa, but their serial numbers did not start until 1786.
That makes me belive it is a "General Export" model with kph specs, dubbed "DK" or "European Direct Sales" dubbed "ED"

You can also check the carb code (stamped outside of No 1 carb housing) Canada would be VB62A, General Export and European Direct Sales were VB63A
I would like to know what kind of identification you have on the bike. Does the frame have a VIN plate on the steering neck? This was exclusive for bikes in the U.S. and Canada. If so, what is the build date on it as shown in the right upper corner? I assume it would be 7/79
Last edited by EMS on Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

short-edd

Post by short-edd »

The Carbs are stamped VB 63A BRF 1
The Frame No is stamped on the steering head and the vin plate is riveted
on the support frame adjacent , (don’t know if that means anything).
Edd.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

It is definitely not a Canadian bike. I am pretty sure, it is a DK or ED model.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Sounds like a pretty rare '80. How many of those could possibly have been made?

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

daves79x wrote:Sounds like a pretty rare '80. How many of those could possibly have been made?

Dave
:D :D I don't know if there is anybody in the world who would be able to answer that question... :think:

short-edd

Post by short-edd »

The last thing I need is a rarity model, I’m too ham fisted
to be trusted with anything of value.

Goss
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Goss »

You can't rely on the carbs to help date the bike unless it's a one owner bike with guaranteed history.

Regards

Goss
Onboard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqWSsdKtd64
Bike http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofjFhEd3

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The location of the VIN plate on the side gusset of the frame instead of the steering neck also rules out a Canadian version.
Also, VB63 carbs are some of the rarest around. I would have my doubts that these have been put on the bike as a replacement.

Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Mello »

EMS wrote: One other possibility would be South Africa, but their serial numbers did not start until 1786.
My 80 has frame number 1074, which according to Ian's book was Japanese made and would be a DK area code. DK models came with VB63A carbs too. So it's quite possible the bike could have come from South Africa.

Interestingly, we had our "own" code - SA - which started around 1797. So it would seem my bike is out of sequence with this and would indicate that Edd's is too. My 80 engine currently has a set of VB65A carbs on it. When I bought this pile of bits, I got 2 spare sets of carbs - VB60 and VB61. So these must have been swapped out at some stage.

:?
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." - Enzo Ferrari

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Mello wrote: My 80 has frame number 1074, which according to Ian's book was Japanese made and would be a DK area code. DK models came with VB63A carbs too. So it's quite possible the bike could have come from South Africa.

Interestingly, we had our "own" code - SA - which started around 1797. So it would seem my bike is out of sequence with this and would indicate that Edd's is too. My 80 engine currently has a set of VB65A carbs on it. When I bought this pile of bits, I got 2 spare sets of carbs - VB60 and VB61. So these must have been swapped out at some stage.

:?
O.K., we can have all our own points of view, but in the interest of keeping it straight for those who just read, let's not muddle the issue.
Your bike came with 3 different carbs. NONE of them actually is a carb originally fit on a 1980 DK model. VB60 is the carb on a 1979 U.S, Canadian, South Africa and Australia model, VB61 is the carb on a European 1979 CBX and VB65 is the carb on all Prolinks except U.S. and Canada. That would indicate that your original carbs are amiss.

The fact that serial number SC03- 20 01074 was produced in Japan was well known before Ian's book was published. Relying on Honda's information that this was a DK model is, well, as reliable as the info about the Canadian CB1-20-230004 I posted elsewhere.
Yes, South Africa had their own code, but 1797 was the start of the ENGINE serial number SC03E-20 01797. Frames started at SC03-20 01786 as posted above.
As Edd's bike is in the U.K., I would think it is more likely that the bike is a "ED" = European Direct Import model and did not come from South Africa.
Last edited by EMS on Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Goss
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Goss »

There is a chap on Ebay in the UK that used to import CBX's from the US he only imports them from South Africa now. He has many SA CBX's being shipped over at this time so their numbers in the UK are increasing monthly.

Regards

Goss
Onboard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqWSsdKtd64
Bike http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofjFhEd3

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Here is another small item that is different on the various bikes:

DK models did NOT have a reflector on the rear fender (mudguard)
ED bikes were the only ones that had a lower extension, an extra "mudguard" on the rear fender.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”