'79 Speedo Clean-up

vwbug7777
New Member & Happy To Be Here

'79 Speedo Clean-up

Post by vwbug7777 »

I took my speedo apart yesterday to fix a "sticking" problem. After reading as much as I could on this forum I decided to tackle the job and just get it done.
Speedo.1.jpg
Removed the 4 nuts and rubber inserts on the back and lift the housing clear.
Speedo.2.jpg
Speedo.3.jpg
The trip winder unwinds in a clock-wise direction and then the guage slides out of the front of the cluster housing. The chrome steel ring slides off.
Speedo.4.jpg
To remove the black steel bezel that holds the glass onto the yellow body took 15 minutes of gently prying up a section at a time with a screwdriver until at last the glass can be gently lifted out -(sorry no photos of that as I needed 2 hands and a sense of humour :x ). The yellow housing that holds the speedo unit is slightly flexible and that helps getting the bezel off.
Speedo.5.jpg
Speedo.6.jpg
You will notice that when I carefully moved the needle round to 20 mph it stayed there for a while before creeping ever so slowly down to zero. That was the problem I had come to fix! Undo the 2 rear screws and, without touching the needle or face, carefully withdraw the unit out of the housing.
Speedo.7.jpg
Speedo.8.jpg
Here are the innards.
Speedo.9.jpg
Speedo.10.jpg
This is what you see. The speedo drive comes up from below (in the photo) and has a magnetic steel disc on the top. That rotates inside, but not touching, an aluminium cup that is directly attached to the speedo needle. What you cannot see in this photo (but will on the next post due to photo upload limits) is a steel backing plate, the same shape as the aluminium cup but only covering the lower half. That is very close to the cup and any sticky fluid or oil in there holds the cup stationary while the spinning magnet is trying to drag the aluminium cup around the disc. I wiped the residue off with aerosol contact cleaner until I could move the speedo needle up to 140 mph and it would return smoothly and immediately to zero. I did not replace the clear gel-like fluid that had leaked onto the cup because the needle was moving nicely. Also I did'nt want to tempt fate and perform more surgery on this unit! I had no need to remove the needle or face of the speedo but could have quite easily at this stage. I put it all back together in the reverse order, the bezel shows no sign of open heart surgery at all and it now works :dance: A couple of hours well spent.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: '79 Speedo Clean-up

Post by NobleHops »

Great content, thank you very much, including for the excellent photos.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Thanks for the great write-up, Andy.
So, you weren't tempted to "massage" the odometer reading while in there?

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

Could you please give me a little more detail on taking the ring off. Also how do you go about putting it back on without screwing the ring all up? thanks and by the way that is a great article you wrote up. VERY HELFUL INDEED.. thanks :text-goodpost:

cbx6ss
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbx6ss »

thank you kindly for the procedure and pix! Very helpful!!
/r
Brad

vwbug7777

Post by vwbug7777 »

Hello Tevan, the bezel is curled over the "yellow" casing by about 1mm, and that makes it kind of tricky to bend straight. If it was longer it would have helped...but the trick is to try and squeeze a small screwdriver, say 3mm wide at the tip, between the lip of the ring and the yellow casing. Place the guage face down on a thick towel (prevents damage) and try to lever up one piece about 1mm then move around another 3mm and do the same again. After about 10 minutes you will question your sanity for tackling the task BUT a little at a time and after 3 or 4 complete revolutions the lip will be high enough to get needle nose pliers onto and go around again straightening it up until you can prise out the glass. The reverse is to press the raised lip down A lttle bit at a time with the wooden end of a small hammer, sort of just leaning on it and move around the ring. Finally, I had a well worn pair of large pliers and placed the lip in the towel material and gently squeezed the lip down more. It will never be perfect but the rubber cushion that the guage sits against hides any small wrinkles. I suppose patience is the key here - "slowly slowly catchy monkey!"

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

Thanks for that reply. I have a s l o w tach and am thinking on tackling it. Have you any tips on fixing a slugish tach? :text-thankyouyellow:

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

Here are two mostly self explanatory pics I am sure I have picked up from a forum thread in here.
And as the saying goes, 2 pics are worth 2 thousand words ..
IMG_3260.jpg
IMG_3252.jpg
But I have a question for you Andy:
I always thought there IS some silicone fluid in theses gauges to aid with the damping of the pointer needle.
In your excellent write up, you have REMOVED old silicone which should, or should not, be there.

After the operation, you report the gauge seems to work OK. But have you tested it in road conditions, what's the needle damping like ON THE ROAD?

Cheers, Aris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

Yes those pictures are allot of help... thanks

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

tevan wrote:Yes those pictures are allot of help... thanks
I posted those pics awhile back, one other tip is that if you wish to hide the re-crimped bezel altogether you can get an extra Crome beauty ring that the gauge sits on and turn it upside down on top of the existing ring, it's lip will cover the black bezel a few mm's and hide the crimped lip.

Picture a 2nd chrome ring upside down facing the gauge on top of the original ring, use the 4th pic in the 1st post above for a reference.
Last edited by Jeff Bennetts on Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

Jeff Bennetts wrote:I posted those pics awhile back
As always, well done Jeff! We all benefit from your experience.
Aris
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

vwbug7777

Post by vwbug7777 »

Those two photos of Jeff's explain it really well - what a great idea to use a large hose clip!!! Damn, that would have helped me alot...ha ha!
You know, when I buy a drum of Jet A1 at the airport, they use a crimping tool to fold over the sealing cap over the opening lids. Now .....if that were the same size as the CBX gauge diameter all we'd have to do is get someone to make up hundreds of the rings, uncrimped, and the CBX community would be safe for decades! I'll have to look into the crimping tool more closely next visit.

vwbug7777

Post by vwbug7777 »

Kool_Biker wrote:Here are two mostly self explanatory pics I am sure I have picked up from a forum thread in here.
And as the saying goes, 2 pics are worth 2 thousand words ..
IMG_3260.jpg
IMG_3252.jpg
But I have a question for you Andy:
I always thought there IS some silicone fluid in theses gauges to aid with the damping of the pointer needle.
In your excellent write up, you have REMOVED old silicone which should, or should not, be there.

After the operation, you report the gauge seems to work OK. But have you tested it in road conditions, what's the needle damping like ON THE ROAD?

Cheers, Aris
I have not yet road tested it - I twirled a screwdriver in the speedo to see it swing up, so to answer your question, I don't know what effect it will now show on the road. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

vwbug7777

Post by vwbug7777 »

Hello All,

A quick note to say that I have tested it and it works fine - no lag and no shake either, just very smooth.
The hard thing now is to see the speedo "kmh" on the inner ring ("mph" on outer) when pulling away from the lights -it accelerates so well once you hit 4000rpm that I'm at 100 before I can focus on the dials, in a 70 zone! Need to put some lines of colour at 70 and 100 on the dial or I will not have a licence for long...!

Tripnut

Post by Tripnut »

Great post. Helped me a lot.

PO bent put a huge dent in the bezel and now I have to fix it.
Honda CBX1000Z 1978
Kawasaki H2A 1973
Kawasaki H2C 1975
Kawasaki H1E 1974
Yamaha R1 2009
Harley Davidson XR1200X

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”