83 CBX 550 wont start

BIOLAB2

83 CBX 550 wont start

Post by BIOLAB2 »

I have a 83 CBX 550 and it was stored for 11 years the bike was stored with DIESEL inside of the gas tank and carbs. I got the bike and flushed the DIESEL from the gas tank and the carbs. After 6hours of starting it, it fired up buring white smoke (DIESEL) still left in the carbs. it was running fine but with high RPM and then it would bog down and stop. After a couple of starts it would start again. I figured it was the DIESEL so I took out the carbs for a good cleaning. I took out the 2 small jets and the float out and cleaned them on all 4 carbs and found some gunk in the jets. Now the bike wont start it just keeps backfiring once every 1min of cranking the motor. The spark plugs look good and have spark on all 4 using a 12V car battery to start the bike. But now it wont even start. When I pull ou the spark plugs they are wet but that it just from cranking the engine for so long without the actual start. When I check the float housing the gas is getting in and leaking out when I use a flat screwdriver. Even when I try to put gas into the combustion chamber and install the sparkplugs back in the bike wont start. I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND, Its getting gas and spark the filter is taken out so there is air and the darn bike still wont start! PLEASE HELP!!!

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

You may have more of a problem that you know of but in my experience, a (wet) plug, even if wet with good gas, will sometimes (not) fire up.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

550 no start

Post by Mike Nixon »

Biolab2 -- Sounds frustrating. Terry's advice is good, dry the plugs off.

1. Better yet, after drying them off, open the throttle all the way while trying to start the engine, to clear out some of the seemingly flooded fuel.

2. I would replace the plugs also. Just because they are sparking outside the engine doesn't mean they will inside under compression. Diesel fuel can't have done them much good, even if you can't see it, they are likely fouled.

3. All that battery action, starting, etc., may be overheating the ignition spark units. One of the most common failure modes for Honda's "spark units" is repeated use of the ignition system accompanied by no actual running of the engine.

Come back and tell us what you find.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”