adjusting chains

Houtman
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

adjusting chains

Post by Houtman »

For years I have used an easy and accurate way to adjust my chains on my CBX's.At Lowes or Home Depot you buy an aluminum angle 1 by 1 and 1/16 and 3 feet long for about $5.Take the chain guard of and put one of the flats against the tire and the other flat will be against the chain and it is very easy to align the chain.Turn the wheel to check accuracy.This method works very well and no need to buy more expensive laser tools.This is one advantage of bikes with centerstands ,practical to work on!

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: adjusting chains

Post by EMS »

Good idea! I can sort of "picture" this in my mind, but a real picture would still be helpful!

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

If I have this 'pictured' correctly in my mind, it sounds like you're using the engine drive sprocket to align the rear wheel

If this is indeed what you're doing, it''s not what you want - The rear wheel should be aligned to follow exactly in the track of the front wheel - Rick's method of using a pair of 8 foot flourescent tubes rubber banded on either side of the rear tire is the neatest trick I've heard of . . . . with the front wheel straight, it should be exactly centered between the glass tubes

If your chain isn't in correct alignment when the rear wheel is correctly aligned, then you have another issue to deal with . . . . but misaligning the rear wheel to suit the chain isn't the correct way to go about it

If I don't have the correct picture of what you're proposing, my apologies - It's not the first time ;)

Don

Houtman
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Houtman »

Sorry that I do not have a picture,I am not very good in putting pictures on the site! I do not use the sprocket but the tire and over the last 20 years have had very even chain and sprocket wear.Perhaps it is not the correct way of aligning the chain but it has worked great for me.Also the handeling of the bike has been perfect and no uneven tire wear.Yes it is important that the wheel is true.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

I'm probably just confused - Nothing new there ;)

You place the aluminum on the rear wheel (fore and aft I assume) and then the front end of the aluminum points to . . . . ?

I was thinking you were saying that you used the aluminum adjust the chain to be parallel with the wheel - If so, then that is the same as using the engine drive sprocket to align the rear wheel . . . . no?

If you're doing something different, then a picture or some added explanation would be helpful

It is better to have the rear wheel tracking exactly with the front wheel . . . . even if that means the chain of slightly off - A minor misalignment of the chain won't hurt anything - Certainly better to have that than a misaligned rear wheel

Don

Houtman
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Houtman »

Hi Don,I am probably confusing in my explanation! (dum Dutchman!!!)I point the angle aluminum towards the front sprocket parallel with the chain,I know what you are saying with having the wheels run in line but I never had a problem on my CBX,s using this method it keeps the sprockets and chain lined up well.Perhaps other people have a better way but this works for me.I thank you for your comments ,keepin mind that I am not a mechanic but like to work on my bikes.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”