Clanky-Rattle

Passx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Clanky-Rattle

Post by Passx »

While I'm here,, has anyone had a clanky rattle that seems to come from the LH side, not the motor but sounds almost as if the chain is hitting the chain guard but there is not any witness marks or evidence. I have been all over the bike trying to find it but to no avail. Any ideas or similar problems ? This is on my 81 prolink and it's starting to make me crazy, the bike is stone quiet other than this, help !

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Rattle

Post by EMS »

Steve: You're sure it's not the alternator bearing? Could also be the side- or centerstand hitting the exhaust.

Passx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Passx »

EMS, Thanks for the reply. The side stand was a problem, it was somehow bent but is not now, the center stand also doesn't seem to be hitting but I do want to look again because that's kind of what it would sound like. It really sounds like if the chain wasn't moving and was quickly & repeatedly slapped against the chain guard but also doesn't seem to be hitting that either and is more prevalent in a left turn. This is such an otherwise solid and quiet bike that it's driving me nuts. Anyway thanks EMS

z1x
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by z1x »

Passx,

I know this sounds kind os crazy but does you bike have a 6 into 1 header on it. If it does then you may want to look at the center stand again as there was some postings about the chain cutting into the center stand I also noticed this after installing a 6 into 1 on my 79 X but I had read the postings so I was looking before I put miles on the scoot. Hope this helps aalsoyou may not notice it until you are sitting on the bike so you may have to get help when doing this.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”