Rear grab rail like 82 on an 81?

rekit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Rear grab rail like 82 on an 81?

Post by rekit »

I bought a nice custom made short backrest that was made for an 82, for the wife thinking it would fit my 81 but there's no bracket. Will that bracket bolt onto mine, and does anyone know who might have one? Or a pic, I'm pretty handy at fabricating crap like that..........

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Rear grab rail like 82 on an 81?

Post by Terry »

Not sure what 'bracket' means. Some (most?) Prolinks (81s and 82s) came with a grab handle that sits behind the seat and attaches on either side of the seat onto the tail section with four allen head screws/bolts. Does your's have these holes and just no grab handle? If there are no holes you must have the Euro? version of the tailpiece. As far as I know if your tailpiece has these holes any grab handle, 81 or 82 should fit.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Rear grab rail like 82 on an 81?

Post by EMS »

In the U.S., only the 82 has a grab handle. It bolts to two brackets that are welded to the frame. The 81 does not have these.
Euro Prolinks did not have the grab rail in the standard version, That's why there are white tail pieces without holes. Only when the bike had bags - which was an option on Euro bikes - did it come with a grab rail. Also on the Magnum Gray bikes.
That's why there are "81" tails with holes. Europe did not differentiate the years 81 and 82 by color. Both colors were available for the 82 C-model.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”