Jack Dash Estate Auction - 180+ Vintage bikes must go!!

cbx6ss
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Jack Dash Estate Auction - 180+ Vintage bikes must go!!

Post by cbx6ss »

I'm headed up north at 1200 tomoorrow to:

http://www.jwoodandcompany.com/2009/jac ... e_Dash.htm

Send some money to my paypal account, and I'll pick you up something real nice...
/r
Brad

Will
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Will »

I'll be there. Preview is tomorrow, Thursday, from 1pm til 4pm.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Ask Mike C. if he wants to go with you...maybe he finds that British bike that has eluded him for so long... :D :D :D :D

Sorry, Mike, couldn't help it.. :oops: :oops:

cbx6ss
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbx6ss »

Will wrote:I'll be there. Preview is tomorrow, Thursday, from 1pm til 4pm.
Looking for anything in particular??

Will
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Will »

I'm not looking for anything. Just curious. If nothing else, it will be cheap entertainment.

I went over today to preview the big auction. It turns out Jack Dash was a local who collected motorcycles. He had money from being part of a family that owned some local supermarkets.

J. Wood & Co. is holding the auction at Western New York Event Center, Main St., Clarence, NY. If you collect British bikes, Indians, HDs, or BMWs, you should be there tomorrow; just about no Japanese bikes or parts. There are almost 200 mostly complete motorcycles. Most have no title. Some are pure race bikes, including a couple JAWA speedway bikes.

There is one CBX; a ’79. I wouldn’t touch it. It was not part of Jack Dash estate. It was bought as part of a lot in Rhode Island, worked on, and now up for auction by the son of the auctioneer. The exhaust is aftermarket and rusted through. The paint is original Red, but starting to fade. The cases and cylinders are nice and clean, but the cam ends, and other such covers look their age, which is a strange mix. I could see the removable covers clean and polished, but the cases and not the covers?

There were a couple Honda 750s. Neither would kick over, seized.

I ran into a guy I know by looks, not by name. He had inventoried Jack’s motorcycles about 5 years ago for Jack’s divorce settlement. He said not all of Jack’s bikes were there and there were a lot of bikes that were not Jack’s; typical auction house chicanery. He said the Canadians will be down with pockets full of Loonies for the British stuff and there’s plenty.
Mark Mederski, who some of us met at the curator of the AMA Museum was there working for J. Woods. I said hi and we talked, but I did not ask about the upheaval at the AMA or how he lost his job. He knew a bunch of various collectors by name as we encountered them, it had been advertised nationwide, so they’ll all be there.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

If ya'll spot a basket case original Thruxton Bonnie, I'll back ya... :wink: :lol:
ICOA # 656

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

EMS wrote:Ask Mike C. snip/mb
I want to advise everyone that ....it is official........Mike C..........is now Mike Fettchini (the cheeze)..... since no one can pronounce or even spell his last name.

100% credit goes to Ray Korban for his new last name........flash of brillance, late at night at the ICOA hotel in Mansfield at Vintage Days......way too many beers.....way too many people mis-pronoucing Mike C.s last name.

Final fact: Mike C. aka.....Mike Fettchini was there that night when Ray came out with this gem....and he loved it.
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

I want to advise everyone that ....it is official........Mike C..........is now Mike Fettchini..... (same as the cheeze)..... since no one can pronounce or even spell his last name.

100% credit goes to Ray Korban for his new last name........flash of brillance, late at night at the ICOA hotel in Mansfield at Vintage Days......way too many beers.....way too many people mis-pronoucing Mike C.s last name.

Final fact: Mike C. aka.....Mike Fettchini was there that night when Ray came out with this gem....and he loved it.

Pix of Mike Fettchini
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

Will
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Will »

alimey4u2 wrote:If ya'll spot a basket case original Thruxton Bonnie, I'll back ya... :wink: :lol:
Sorry, didn't see any Thruxton. How about a Triumph with a TrackMaster frame. There's a few of them. Or how about a bare Featherbed frame? At least a half dozen.

Will
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Will »

Mike Barone #123 wrote:
I want to advise everyone that ....it is official........Mike C..........is now Mike Fettchini (the cheeze)..... since no one can pronounce or even spell his last name.

Mike,

I know you're are a couple generations removed from Italy, but I believe it's FETTUCINE or maybe FETTUCCINE or FETTUCINI. There is no H in alfredo.

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

Darn, I'm going to have to dig out my rolodex and cchange it now. I thought his name was Mike.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Alright, now! I am not Italian, but I loooooove Italian cuisine("Cucina Italiana) so , please, allow me to clarify:

The correct spelling of the original Italian word is "Fettuccine", two "t", two "c" with an "u" in between and an "e" at the end, which makes it the plural of "Fettuccina".
It can be translated into "little ribbons" thus showing that it is NOT a cheese (nor cheeze) but a pasta!! It is a flat, broad noodle. (no offense intended, Mike! :!: )

...and if Mike's name would be "Czechini" everybody would know how to pronounce it, wouldn't they?

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

[quote="Will"]I'm not looking for anything. Just curious. If nothing else, it will be cheap entertainment.

I went over today to preview the big auction. It turns out Jack Dash was a local who collected motorcycles. He had money from being part of a family that owned some local supermarkets.

J. Wood & Co. is holding the auction at Western New York Event Center, Main St., Clarence, NY. If you collect British bikes, Indians, HDs, or BMWs, you should be there tomorrow; just about no Japanese bikes or parts. There are almost 200 mostly complete motorcycles. Most have no title. Some are pure race bikes, including a couple JAWA speedway bikes.

There is one CBX; a ’79. I wouldn’t touch it. It was not part of Jack Dash estate. It was bought as part of a lot in Rhode Island, worked on, and now up for auction by the son of the auctioneer. The exhaust is aftermarket and rusted through. The paint is original Red, but starting to fade. The cases and cylinders are nice and clean, but the cam ends, and other such covers look their age, which is a strange mix. I could see the removable covers clean and polished, but the cases and not the covers?

There were a couple Honda 750s. Neither would kick over, seized.

I ran into a guy I know by looks, not by name. He had inventoried Jack’s motorcycles about 5 years ago for Jack’s divorce settlement. He said not all of Jack’s bikes were there and there were a lot of bikes that were not Jack’s; typical auction house chicanery. He said the Canadians will be down with pockets full of Loonies for the British stuff and there’s plenty.
Mark Mederski, who some of us met at the curator of the AMA Museum was there working for J. Woods. I said hi and we talked, but I did not ask about the upheaval at the AMA or how he lost his job. He knew a bunch of various collectors by name as we encountered them, it had been advertised nationwide, so they’ll all be there.[/quote]

Two of us went for the entertainment factor as well.
Overall i was surprised at how high most of the bikes and parts lots were going for. Some VERY rough, not titled XS650s for $500-$700. A seized and patchwork Laverda SF750 went for close to $2000. The CBX went for $3300. Too much IMHO. There was something funky about the '79, as Will pointed out. Faded tank but not the fender or tailpiece.
Regardless, an interesting experience.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I have experienced Wood's auctions both at Mid-Ohio and in Daytona (Deland). I have long ago decided to not bother trying to find a deal during these events. The first row seats are always reserved for Wood's "buddies", dealers and collectors that are on a first name basis with him. And they will make sure that you, as a regular Tom, Dick and Mike will NOT be able to steal a deal. Anything worth anything will either be bid up into the stratosphere or will mysteriously end up at a high bidder other than you because you weren't able to make yourself recognized with your bid from row 73.
Unless you are a celebrity and may be able to provide some PR somehow, don't expect to score.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

It was the first large motorcycle auction that i have attended and i got the impression it was exactly as you say, Mike.
Just watching the flow of the bidders/auctioneer from item to item it was easy to see where in the crowd the attention was being paid. We had no intentions of bidding on the bikes but there was some of the British parts lots that my buddy was interested in. One of the problems, some of the lots were too large, almost guaranting the larger bidders were the winners.
Jack Dash who owned all this stuff must have been an interesting character. The size and eclectic nature of the collection made that clear.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”