What oil FILTER are you using ?

allilump
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

What oil FILTER are you using ?

Post by allilump »

OK, OK - I know we've all had enough of the infamous oil thread, but I'm wondering what oil FILTERS you are using. OE Honda, Fram, others? I have used some from www.perf-form.com with good results. Thanks for the input. :lol:
Have an Xellent day! Steve #5526

72 BMW R75/5 Toaster, 79 CBX

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

oil filter usage....

Post by sr71cbx »

----I use a Scotts Performance custom-made 35 micron stainless-steel wire mesh oil filter in my turbo '79 and I still have an AmsOil filter in the carbureted '80 model commuter rocket.Incidentally,the turbo just completed the Oregon meet with no trouble at all----the wire mesh filters 35 microns absolute(meaning no bigger particles get thru---period!) 8)

RIPPER
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by RIPPER »

Using 0-30 weight Mobil 1 car oil I don't need a filter because there s absolutely NO wear on the engine! :<)
Thanks RIPPER
FREEDOM WILL NEVER BE FREE!

cbxchris

Post by cbxchris »

I use hi-flo oil filters...made in europe to OEM specs...its the same filter as stock for a suzuki. I`ve used them in all brands . The spin on filters have a check valve like stock(fram does not)...even the oem suzuki filter wrench works on them. The cbx filter looks great. They average 2 bucks each dealer.

jdeatsch
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Wix...

Post by jdeatsch »

I've found them to be a very high quality product.

Years ago, in a former life, I worked for a road construction company and that's all we used. The owner swore by them and we used them in all the trucks and equipment.

I've since read reviews and such about this subject and I've used nothing but Wix for some 25 years and continue to do so with my CBX.

My .02 worth.

Jim
"Racing improves the breed" - Sochiro Honda

Jim-Jim
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Oil Filters

Post by Jim-Jim »

cbxchris & jdeatsch: Are you guys talking about the same product? jd.. says 'Wix' - what's that? cbxchris says 'hi-flo oil filters'; 'spin on filter' and 'cbx filter' all in one paragraph. Could either of you be more specific for the rest of us who might like to look into checking them out. Details would help us track them down and take a look. A good recommendation for a filter but help us find them. :D :D :D

jdeatsch
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

the filters...

Post by jdeatsch »

Jim-Jim,

Wix is a brand name. You'll have to find an auto parts store that sells that brand. Your best bet is a REAL auto parts store like a Parts Plus affiliate or NAPA affiliate (not to be confused with Advance Auto or the like).

The WIX number is 24940. I paid $4.07 each at my local Parts Plus store but I buy from them at stocking dealer price. I doubt retail is much more.

hth,

Jim

Ken #1495

Check the Web Site

Post by Ken #1495 »

Check out the Tech Tid Bits link from our ICOA home page. There is a oil filter page in Pdf format. Just copy the name of your choosing and do a web search.

Jeff Dean
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Oil filter

Post by Jeff Dean »

This topic reminds me of a "service bulltin" I saw while playing parts guy at a local Honda dealer. It went something like this. " a new customer warranty request was denied because he used a Honda CAR filter. (Same size, looked similar and was half the price.) Further inspection revealed the "Honda" filter was not designed to tolerate the heat generated on his new Goldwing. Engine inspection showed the filter MELTED internally and circulated thru the oil system. Damage: $5500.00. :( Claim denied. I stay with what I know works, yea it cost a little more, and maybe its the "Parts guy" coming out in me, but what is piece of mind worth?

Jeff Dean #4112

cbxchris

Post by cbxchris »

The hi flo is carried by parts unlimited and rocky....probably the two biggest wholesale parts outfits in the country. I`ve had good results with them. Actually how I originally started using them was the local suzuki dealer told me he had personally used them and liked them. About a 1/5 the price of OEM and its the same filter. By spin on I am refering to later model engines that use a filter much like a car engine. Hi flo makes a filter for the cbx...got several in right now. The wix deal sounds good...I really like thier filter for cars. I was unaware that they were making filters for bikes. Thanks for the info!

jdeatsch
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Yep on the Wix Chris...

Post by jdeatsch »

I've had good luck with them and they are among the highest rated filters there are (at least in the review I read).

At 200 miles on the 82 now with the Wix and nary an issue.

Jim

george g
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by george g »

Here's the URL to the WIX part number referenced above: http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/ ... rtNo=24940. Click on the part number for details. Anyone know if it comes with the two seals?
Later!

George.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”