"Z" v's "A"

CBXzREG
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

"Z" v's "A"

Post by CBXzREG »

I've seen an "A" in good cosmetic condition. I have a "Z" already.

What is the difference between the specification of the two?

Any advice? is the A worth going for or stick with the Z?

(I wont be selling the Z whether I go for the A or not).

Thanks any assistance.
Ride safe, Richard

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Z vs A

Post by EMS »

Some of the differences depend on where you are. Europe, for example, had the adjustable rear shocks on the 79 "Z" model already, while the US only got them on the 80 "A". Wheels are different, rear tail on the 80 has a compartment together with a different chrome support. In the US the instruments differed in 1980, the speedometer went to only 85mph. Technically, the A was also tuned differently through cams and ignition. Honda never officially gave max crank HP numbers for US, but some records say it was around 105 for 79 and 103 for 80. Front fork on 80 was air assist, rear swingarm had improved bushings. Did I forget something??

CBXzREG
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by CBXzREG »

Many thanks, were the changes worth the effort or is the "Z" still the better bike knowing you have the real thing?

Concerning location, I'm moving down to Brazil in august, leaving my Z in storage here in europe and have seen (already...) both a Z and A for sale in Sao Paulo. I guess therefore it will be a US spec A.
Ride safe, Richard

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Better Model

Post by EMS »

"Better" can be a very subjective thing. When you read this forum, you will recognize, that different people have different priorities, Some like the early Xes, some prefer the Prolinks. Some like anything they can part out and sell. It has been said, that the "A" had some improvements in detail, that made it the overall better bike, both in performance characteristic and in handling. You will have to decide yourself. As far as the specs goe, I would not bet my head on South America having the same configuration as the U.S.. Even Canadian models were closer to the Europeans than the U.S. versions. We have some anal retentive people here in the U.S. that are preferably employed by agencies called BMV, DOT and EPA.

Tom Neimeyer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

'79 vs '80

Post by Tom Neimeyer »

All in all there are about 25 differences in the '79 and '80. I think most people who have ridden both bikes in stock form will agree the '80 is a better handler but slower. I have several '79s and will eventually get a '80 frame for my final CBX project.

Some additional differences: Bearings in swingarm, air assist forks, frame wider in swingarm area, larger pivot bolt in swingarm, vacuum diaphragm (fuel shutoff), carbs have 2 fuel inlets, carbs differnet (less adjustable).

I think it boils down to personal preference. Either are fine motorcycles.

Regards, Tom

CBXzREG
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by CBXzREG »

Thanks EMS, Tom.

I guess I'll have to take them both out for a blast to decide.

I dunno. I cant guess. It will be decided by gut-feeling.

Will let you know how it pans out.
Ride safe, Richard

andy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by andy »

80 came in black paint along w/ candy glory red.
75 Kawa F7, 71 CB500-4, 79 750F, 82 750 Sabre, 83 Suzuki XN85 TURBO, 81 CBX, 69 CB750 X 14 (like those old Honda's a little)

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

z bv a

Post by broook »

I tried to find out all the differences a couple of months ago but only received a couple of replies. :(

I did find out that there are approx 100 differences varying from color to 1 mm difference in bolt length for the gas tank emblems. :shock:

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

79 and 80 differences

Post by EMS »

Brook: If you want to be that dilligent, the best way to find out is to take the parts microfiche and go through it. Some changes may be irrelevant, though as the new part used on the 80 replaced the original 79 part and during the life of the bike has been changed to the new level. It is probably tough to find any 79 that has ALL original parts, unless it is one of the $12,000 still-in-the-crate ones.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”