Lazy Tachometer

JohnK
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Lazy Tachometer

Post by JohnK »

I have a lazy tachometer. It won't go over 3000 no matter how much I rev. (sounds like a personal problem, doesn't it?) Anyway, I have taken it apart without tearing it up too bad, but NOW WHAT!!?? Should I simply degrease it and re-oil? I gotta tell ya, it looks so simple.
Anybody got any advice for me?
Be well, do good work, and keep in touch.

Phil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Phil »

Same problem here last year. I cut sections out of mine with a dremel tool so I could get at the insides. Rinsed it with lighter fluid and lubed it with dryslide(I think but can`t remember). No problems since.

pantera33333

tach repair

Post by pantera33333 »

A common problem with older tachs that have sat for awhile. Getting it warm like sitting in the sun generally frees it up and using it then may free it up somewhat. If all else fails, new tachs are available from Honda or on e-bay now and then.

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

tachy!

Post by sr71cbx »

------I use an AutoMeter 14,000 RPM electric tach on my turbo bike,sure beats the cable colliding with the 13 row cooler out front.It's deadly accurate too. 8) If you're looking for a stocker replacement,like the others said,you could be S.O.L. there. :?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Tach

Post by EMS »

If you can't find a good used CBX tach, look for an 81/82 CB900F instrument or a 83 import (Canadian) CB1100F (round instruments) tach. They are not exactly the same as far as working ratios are concerned, but close enough and they fit and look the same as the Prolink's rev counter. (10K max number). Finding new ones is hard. Honda, once again, is out, even of the 900/1100 parts.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”