Taller windshield

JohnK

Taller windshield

Post by JohnK »

Hello, I have recently purchased a 1981 CBX that has low mileage and is in pretty good shape. I have done some research that confirms the wind noise experienced with the stock windshield and apparently Tims sells a taller windshield that is supposed to help with this problem for the 5'10" rider. Well, I am 6'2" and I was wondering if I can get some information from you fine folks concerning where I can get a tall enough windshield that will give my ears some relief. I don't like full-face helmets but unless I can solve this problem that might be my only solution.
Thanks in advance for your help.

John Kowalke
Indianapolis, IN
Jkowalke3@comcast.net

RIPPER
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by RIPPER »

I think clerview makes screens for the CBX also Gufstasons.
Thanks RIPPER
FREEDOM WILL NEVER BE FREE!

SS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

ClearView shields @ 800-798-6089

Post by SS »

Tim's bought their shields from Clearview. (craig is very helpful) http://www.clearviewshields.com/

I recently purchased a taller model from Clearview and I am very happy with it (but I'm 5'10"). The CV shield comes with new hold down hardware (if you need a new mounting gasket, Honda is the source).

Rifle also makes a more straight (read upright) replacement shields, you may consider because of your height. http://www.rifle.com/

I believe with Gustafson you must drill the holes in your new shield, and they send a drill bit with you new shield.

good luck
SS

Someone who thinks logically provides a nice contrast to the real world.

01 XL1200C 83 CB1100F 82 CBX 80 CBX

so far!!!!!!!!!!

chevok
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Taller Windshield...

Post by chevok »

John--Clearview is a great company to do business with. I purchased the 2" taller version and it helps tremendously but then I'm only 5'9". Also, I had a short deadline to meet a bike show and they made sure that it arrived in plenty of time. They do have a 4" taller version but haven't seen one of those mounted. And speaking of mounting, those 2 screws next to the headlight are a killer...
Ken Brown--Have bike, will ride....

BDR

Taller windshield

Post by BDR »

Those 2 killer screws next to the windshield.

I think you have to have arms that look like an alien to get there. My solution was to glue, with epoxy, two lock nuts to fender washers (washers that are about the size of a nickle but with 1/8" holes). Then using a glue called SHOE GOO (it remains flexible after setting) applied liberally to the washers, I threaded a string from the fairing hole down to and through the washers. Tying a paper clip to the string as a back up, I pulled the nuts/washers into place and used spring clamps to put weight on the strings holding the nuts in place untill the Shoe Goo set overnight. The nuts are conveniently there for ever.

Last note, I used small bits of drinking straws to centre the nuts and keep Shoe Goo out of the threads.

andy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by andy »

If I recall, TIMS wellnuts eliminate torturing your arm on that last screw. I recall using double stick tape on my fingertips and grimacing madly during the procedure :suspect:

I have a decent used (1 season) tall 81 shield, email me if you are interested. Definately increases comfort level about 2 inches higher, just not as "sporty" looking.
75 Kawa F7, 71 CB500-4, 79 750F, 82 750 Sabre, 83 Suzuki XN85 TURBO, 81 CBX, 69 CB750 X 14 (like those old Honda's a little)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Nuts for windshield

Post by EMS »

Originally, these two nuts - one each side - are on a longer strip of metal so you can reach them. Still difficult, but doable.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”