How to remove seat?

ksquared
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

How to remove seat?

Post by ksquared »

Ok - I give. How do I non-destructively remove the seat?
79 CBX - 75 CB400F - 71 SL350 - 07 Buell XB9R - 03 Harley V-Rod

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: How to remove seat?

Post by tevan »

Two hooks under seat I/2 way back and 2 acorn nuts half way back . You then lift back of seat up and pull it back. I presume this is a 79/80 bike.

ksquared
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by ksquared »

Yep a 79. I removed the acorn nuts and presto. No hooks to be found but the seat is a Corbin so maybe that's why they aren't there. Thanks!

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

I don’t think the hooks are on the Corbin as you say if I remember correctly. Glad mission is accomplished.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Hooks should be on the tail piece, regardless of seat. Sometimes left off if the seat is a poor fit, as many Corbins are.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Methinks a shop manual should be in your future.

Dave

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Rick Pope wrote:Hooks should be on the tail piece, regardless of seat. Sometimes left off if the seat is a poor fit, as many Corbins are.
Ditto on that Corbin fit thing, Rick. Don't understand how someone as big as Corbin can be so inept. But, then, I've seen other fairly big suppliers of other aftermarket things, such as windshields, do similarly. OR, perchance, I just happen to have a maverick bike? (82)
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

ksquared
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by ksquared »

Shop manual now in the shop. I'm not sure the fault is with Corbin. I see the spots where the the hooks would latch to the tailpiece. Problem is the hooks aren't there. Perhaps there was a fit problem & the PO left them off. Anyway the seat fits fine. I don't see how the hooks would make much of a difference unless the tailpiece is flopping around while I ride. It feels quite solid. Look at all the weight I'm saving :lol:

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Rick Pope wrote: the seat is a poor fit, as many Corbins are.
I second that remark! :D

...and I know, someone will come and say : "My Corbin fits fine"... key thing is the "many". Corbin's main business is V-Twin cruiser seats. Fit on anything on these bikes is terrible. That's why it doesn't matter for Corbin.

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

I'm relieved to hear this <I guess>. I thought it was just my setup. I have a Corbin Gunfighter on my '79 and although the hooks can be engaged, it will practically destroy the thumbs to make it happen. They're so tight, I leave them unlatched because, in addition to the aforementioned difficulty in latching them, I'm afraid to leave it under that much tension for fear it could cause stress cracks.
'86 VMax, ‘83 ZN1300-6, ‘78 GL1000, '75 750K

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Yes ----- while I have a Corbin, and do find it comfortable and serviceable, I would NOT recommend Corbin seats for the CBX. Has always been a 'bear' to remove and install. What I have found to help with it is to grease the frame rails where it contacts the seat. Can't understand how they could get it so wrong!
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I can pile on the Corbin bashing as well.
The seat for the '79 didn't sit properly on the frame and of course the tailpiece did not match up to the seat.
The seat for the '81 fit the tailpiece and frame with no problems but the "corrugated" section of cover broke down prematurely.
I do like the feel and shape of the seats when riding.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

ksquared wrote:Shop manual now in the shop. I'm not sure the fault is with Corbin. I see the spots where the the hooks would latch to the tailpiece. Problem is the hooks aren't there. Perhaps there was a fit problem & the PO left them off. Anyway the seat fits fine. I don't see how the hooks would make much of a difference unless the tailpiece is flopping around while I ride. It feels quite solid. Look at all the weight I'm saving :lol:
i never latch the hooks, I suspect they’re part of the reason you see cracks down the Center of the tail cowl combined with a high rubber bumper under the cowl... all that and rotund girlfriends riding pillion

When removing pay attention to cowl gently spread the sides so as not to hook onto rubber side bumpers, those cowls get brittle and bottom lip of the cowls can easily be broken off by the bumpers.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”