crankcase draining

rideredcat
New Member & Happy To Be Here

crankcase draining

Post by rideredcat »

Please excuse my ignorance. My 80 cbx had a leak from the front right bottom of the crankcase. Upon inspection I removed what looked like a drain bolt and real dirty oil dripped out(about 6oz). I have been told this was a hole made when case was cast. I was also told by Honda shop parts person that there are 8 of these bolts. Should I remove the other bolts and drain this nasty looking oil? The o-ring on the bolt was replaced and I hope this will solve the leak. Also how should I proceed when restarting the bike. Any info and help would be appreciated. Many thanks

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: crankcase draining

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I am guessing the bolt you removed is #13 in this engine schematic?
https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon ... /crankcase
Never had one of them leak but if it is i wouldn't bother removing the other ones.
However, if the oil that you saw was dirty i would change the oil and filter in the regular manner.

As to how to proceed when re-starting, not sure what you are asking?

rideredcat

Post by rideredcat »

steve-thank you for your help. i change the oil regularly and it is clean, thats what puzzled me. could the oil at the bottom of the crankcase not be circulating? i have limited knowledge of the workings of the engine. i have been riding since 1974 and have 5 bikes. i do tune-ups and oil changes and brake work but thats about it. it has been laid up for a year. as to the restarting since oil drained i didnt wnat to damage anything.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Welcome! I'm just over the way from you in Knox! Have we met? Anyway, that plug you removed might have a hairline crack. That does happen and if so, it will still leak. They are NLA from Honda, but Bert at Six Center in Holland has reproductions.

There is a real difference in crankcase capacity between a regular oil and filter change and a complete disassembly. Easily 1/2 quart stays in the engine at a regular change. I usually only get 4 quarts or a little more into the crankcase. At complete disassembly, I get a little over 5 quarts. So yes, there is oil hiding in lots of places that does not come out during a regular change. Not a problem.

Give me a shout sometime!

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Any engine using conventional oil will accumulate a residue commonly called "sludge" in the bottom of the pan and in nooks and crannies which will look pretty much like what you are describing. It will most likely not drain with regular oil changes. To get it all out would involve taking the cases apart, or at least the oil pan off and trying to flush.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”