Rear cowl cracks and rubber mount

sixinoz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Rear cowl cracks and rubber mount

Post by sixinoz »

My 79 has minor cracks due to the single rubber mount.
I have trimmed the single mount so that there is less pressure on the cowl. Now my problem is that with a pillion passenger the cowl gets depressed so low that it contacts the tail light.
It also appears that there were (are) 2 rubber mounts in the side of the tail light frame to support the cowl in sideways movements. I don't see this on the parts diagrams???.
It would appear that some sort of wider supportive brace under the cowl is needed - please let me know of your solutions.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Rear cowl cracks and rubber mount

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Have a look out for an '80 cowl support.
They had two bumpers to support the cowl.
https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon ... ear-fender

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

sixinoz wrote:
It also appears that there were (are) 2 rubber mounts in the side of the tail light frame to support the cowl in sideways movements. I don't see this on the parts diagrams???.
84104-422-000 both on the 79 and 80 taillight frame. Shown on F-28 as item 14

sixinoz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by sixinoz »

Hi EMS - checked the diagram but my frame that holds the tail light is not the same as the one shown. Rather than 2 small holes for the rubber stops there are 2 large holes lower down that appear to take a much larger rubber stop.(About the same size as the single one that supports the top part of the cowl)
On the actual cowl there are two raised sections either side at the bottom that match the big holes exactly and appear to be where the rubber stops contact the cowl.
Is my tail light frame original for this bike - was wondering if PO had changed it?

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jt »

Quote: It also appears that there were (are) 2 rubber mounts in the side of the tail light frame to support the cowl in sideways movements. I don't see this on the parts diagrams???.

I think you mean this, the tail light/license plate bracket. yes there are two rubber bump stops one on either side, #14 in the pic. (Click on the pic) The rubbers are no longer available from Honda. You could try Louis. If yours is different then I suspect it has been changed / modified. Not sure if a Euro bracket is different. Show us a pic of what you have.
JT In Texas

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever
have to deal with, watches you from
the mirror every mornin'.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The cowl should not move with a passenger unless they are actually sitting on the cowl! Are the middle steel clevis mounts in place and tight? Is the cowl screwed correctly to the seat? Are the swing latches in place? Check to see if the whole chrome rail frame is not bowed out of shape.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

It seems like my posts have become invisible to some...That's O.K., I guess...

There is a remote possibility that a PO changed the bracket and the tail to one from a CB900F or other DOHC model. They are similar, but need to be heavily modified to fit. I have seen it done though. I still think it is an installation issue.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

You and me both Mike! Oh well, it's the best we can do.

Dave

sixinoz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by sixinoz »

I will get the seat off today. Logically I would think that the plastic rear base should rest firmly on the rear frame thus no chance of downward movement. Since the cowl is attached to the base there should be no movement there either. However, judging by the number of cracked cowls supported by one rubber, there is indeed movement downwards of the cowl onto the rubber stop.
Thanks for the replies - will let you know what I find.

sixinoz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by sixinoz »

20180513_102202.jpg
20180513_102908.jpg
Ok - so attached are photos of my taillight bracket - not the same as parts fiche - anyone identify it?

The seat base sits fairly firmly on the frame but there is slight movement downwards with pressure. Grab rail does not appear bent in any way. Brackets on seat attaching to front of grab rail look ok. This would be ok but the cowl now contacts the light frame on the corners. Maybe some 5mm rubber mounts on top of the frame cross member would take up the slack and stop the cowl rubbing on the light?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

There is suppose to be rubber bumpers in the holes on the side. There about 3/4” long.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

tevan wrote:There is suppose to be rubber bumpers in the holes on the side. There about 3/4” long.
I beleive they are number 14 on the drawing

sixinoz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by sixinoz »

Yeah I have seen the item 14 but the bracket for them is different to the diagram of parts.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I think they are item 14 in the diagram.... :? :roll:

The bracket may look a little different in the drawing than in reality but it is the same bracket. The plugs go in the large hole on each side.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

You still don't say whether the swinging rear latches are present on your cowl. They are important as well.

Dave

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”