Rear cowl cracks and rubber mount

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Rear cowl cracks and rubber mount

Post by desertrefugee »

Since we're on the topic, isn't it fairly common for folks to remove the top rubber bumper (not the side ones) to actually reduce the chances of cracking the cowling?
'86 VMax, ‘83 ZN1300-6, ‘78 GL1000, '75 750K

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

sixinoz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by sixinoz »

yeah you are quite correct - it is the same bracket - guess that clears that up - thanks.
I solved the cowl movement by making a thick, large felt pad to replace the small rubber stop on top of the grab rail. Now just got to find replacements for the side ones.

sixinoz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by sixinoz »

Yeah EMS - you are correct - the bracket is the same z should have seen this earlier. ( note to self - stop drinking cheap liquor)
Problem now solved. With seat in place I measured the gap between the top of the grab rail frame and the cowl. I then made a large round and stiff felt pad to replace the rubber stop. This now stops the cowl from moving down and the size of the pad spreads the load on the cowl so it doesn't crack.
Thanks to everyone for all your input.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”