removing oil screen and more, sorta.....

itsacbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

removing oil screen and more, sorta.....

Post by itsacbx »

Hi all, I thought I'd done a post on this, but cant find it so Ill start again...Im into my 79 engine and ready to split he cases...first signs arent promising- its full of accumulated oil and clutch plate crud and the oil screen is mostly blocked......
But my questions are 1] how is the oil screen held on? Screw on or push on? I dont want to be wailing on it and doing the wrong thing......and
2] how does one split the cases on an engine that has never been apart- Ive accounted for all the bolts and removed the requisite number [all of them], but she still wont separate....So far I have it apart about 1/64" using gentle applications of about 4 putty knives all the way around but it wont go any further...OR.....is there a bolt under the oil screen I cant see?
Heat next?
Thankfully I have some good local resources which I will be able to tap into- Im afraid this engine is going to be costly to fix. Ive already got a broken and missing cam cap to replace, pistons aren't great, alternator appears to be 50% missing and so on.....

Dynamohum
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: removing oil screen and more, sorta.....

Post by Dynamohum »

Well I can help with the oil screen. It is a push on pull off however, when I removed mine to clean the goo streamers hanging from it I couldn't get it back on. It was too stiff and hard so I bought a new one.

itsacbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by itsacbx »

thanks, thats a start.......

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

itsacbx wrote:Hi all, I thought I'd done a post on this, but cant find it so Ill start again.......
viewtopic.php?f=102&t=10962

itsacbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by itsacbx »

GOT IT....
A generous dosing of paint thineer around all the mating surfaces caused the gasket compound to soften enough to allow me to get a razor blade between the cases, then a utility knife and finally a freaking big screwdriver....just joking, the cases fell apart after a few minutes.
The underside of the top case is spotless, cant say that much for teh downside as its just filthy but I suspect that was a result of the engine laying around with the cylinders and head off for a considerable period......
Good news is the mains are spotless and the primary chain tensioner is in excellent condition with no marks from the chain whatsoever.
Ill post some pics shortly as I start my rebuild.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”