Trib knob just won't let go!!! Please help!!

bluefrog
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Trib knob just won't let go!!! Please help!!

Post by bluefrog »

I've searched the forum to find some tips but no luck.

In the process of transferring my gauges to a new housing, looks like i'll need to remove the trip knob first to push the gauges out.

I've been turning the trip knob clockwise which is the opposite of resetting the trip meter, every revolution i hear some kind of a "click" noise.

Been at it for 4 hours... super bummed about it :( ...

any tricks to do this???

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Trib knob just won't let go!!! Please help!!

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Seeing as the reverse rotation did not work check for a tiny set screw.
I can't remember if the early or late models had it.
Failing that, try some heat from a heat gun on the area....carefully. There might be an adhesive from a previous owner.

bluefrog

Post by bluefrog »

I had to cut the trip knob unfortunately to be able to remove the gauge from the old bezel. Not exactly how i would have it done, but didn't have much choice, and that path seemed the most feasible at the time. Now it is all put together.

I cut a section of a clear drinking straw, sleeve it over the plastic rod on the knob side and leave about 1/4" extra sticking out. Then I sleeve the extra end on the plastic rod over on the gauge side and it stays. Fortunately I was able to retain the knob function as the straw is on there really tight. Thinking of adding epoxy to make it more permanent, but from just the friction of the straw the trip knob stays on.

Every weekend I am always presented with two options, ride the CBX or work on the CBX. If i decide the latter, it has always been a difficult experience, however it rewards me with an amazing ride every time afterwards. Plus I learn so much every time I decide to work on it myself. The difficult experience is definitely worth it.

sin486
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by sin486 »

I know I'm a little late to the party, but for anyone else who stumbles on this thread: there is a small screw inside the knob that needs to be removed, the knob then can be pulled away from the speedometer. See attached picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

This is only on the later model (Prolink) speedometer! The early 150mph speedo of the 1979 has no screw. The trip knob comes off rotating it backwards. Sometimes, you need to pull on it a little to keep the internals from rotating.

Duffey Lake rd.
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Duffey Lake rd. »

I've found the trick.
My bike is an '80.
I tried spinning it clockwise, but nothing happened, so I tried a hairdryer, WD40, Liquid Wrench, still nothing, but when I tried a vibrator for a minute or so, it then loosened right away.
-Scott
Last edited by Duffey Lake rd. on Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

I have used a heatgun gently little at a time. Don’t over heat it. Heat it, then pull it out as you turn it. This almost always works.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Good 'stuff', gents. Thanks.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”