Choke Lever

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Choke Lever

Post by jt »

So rebuilding my clutch perch / choke assembly and have a question. Upon putting it all back together after having it powdered coated I applied a light coat of grease to the Choke pivot shaft and put it all back together. Question is how is the choke lever suppose to work / feel.

After assembling when I push to move the choke it goes right to the detent of the shaft which I'm guessing the choke plates are Almost closed. I can push the lever a little further and hold it there the choke now feels fully closed. Upon releasing my thumb it returns to the detent and partially open choke. Is this correct or have I messed it up? I have a feeling (more like hoping) that is the way it is designed, you hold the choke fully closed to start and when started you release it to the partially closed choke to warm up.

Before I could push the choke lever all the way closed and it would stay there till I moved it back some once started because of the old dried up grease around the pivot shaft.
JT In Texas

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever
have to deal with, watches you from
the mirror every mornin'.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Choke Lever

Post by daves79x »

On many CBXs, you do have to hold the choke lever all the way closed to be sure the choke plates are closed. More a function of the cable and choke mechanism than the lever. However, there are several parts to the choke lever assembly. There is a ball and spring in the housing and a wave washer under the lever. Those parts are not shown or available separately. Also, the lever is punch-marked as is the shaft for alignment.

Dave

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

That's a common occurrence with the CBX choke system, on cold starts if you keep pressure on the choke lever it closes the plates that skosh further and that pressure closes the choke plates completely, something a lot of CBX owners don't know about and wrongly assume the choke plates are completely closed when in fact they are not and their bikes are hard starting because of it.

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jt »

Dave, Jeff,
Thanks for the replys good info. Yes I do have the ball and spring installed and the wave washer under the lever. The tip on the punch marks was noted I had wondered about that, had to get the cheaters on to see the mark on the shaft. :D After tightening the lever screw the lever now stays in the fully closed position. I did not have it tight last night when I wrote my question above. I'm waiting on a new clutch lever switch to come in to finish up. Was wondering is there a correct way it is installed looks like a small tab on the back side of the old one..
JT In Texas

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever
have to deal with, watches you from
the mirror every mornin'.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”