600 Pounds is a Lot to Try to Hold Up!

Z Grand
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

600 Pounds is a Lot to Try to Hold Up!

Post by Z Grand »

Hadn't ridden the CBX or the CB900F in a couple of weeks, so I rolled them out of the garage this afternoon to give them a little exercise. Rode the 900F a few miles until completely warm, then rode back to give the CBX its turn. I had put the CBX on the center stand, so I parked the 900F next to it and began the ritual of starting the CBX (it has an F-bike vacuum valve in the fuel plumbing to help protect against hydrolock). Got her fired after a couple of minutes and tried pushing her off the center stand. Now I've checked the center stand legs periodically to make sure there were no cracks developing, but I guess you can't really tell when they're about to let go until they actually do. The right leg broke and bent towards the rear, but the left leg was still upright, causing the bike to lurch violently to the right. Somehow I was able to keep it from falling over, but because the left leg was still upright, I couldn't push it back to vertical. Nor could I hold the bike while I dismounted or push it forward off the center stand. And I was close to the 900F parked to my right -- if the CBX fell it was going to take out both bikes with me in the middle.

Luckily, my wife was home so I honked the horn furiously until she finally came outside. She was able to help me hold it while I dismounted to the right, then we were able to push the bike forward to get it completely off the center stand. Whew! Glad she was home --- 600 pounds is a lot to try to hold up by yourself - especially when your're north of 60 years old and not as strong as you used to be. Very fortunate things didn't turn out worse. Now to remove the stand and find a good welder! :?

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 600 Pounds is a Lot to Try to Hold Up!

Post by FalldownPhil »

WOW !! That was close.
Good thing your wife was handy.
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Z, you should be kicking field goals with that kind of strength in your leg.
Glad to hear things got saved.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

that was me last summer, the engine was running hot and I pulled into a vacant parking lot to cool down...just as I was rolling to a stop and putting my feet down my left foot slid out on some loose gravel and I lost my grip on the clutch the Z shot forward and there was no saving it :oops: ...so there I was, near 600lbs laying on the pavement, 60+ yrs two wonky wobbly knees and gas leaking out the tank...very hot engine with gas spilling out a fire was a real possibility, with no one around to help lift it up I had no choice but to do it on my own and hope my knees didn't buckle... 1st attempt was a failure :( but I got a good idea how heavy a load I was dealing with....a more determined and focused 2nd attempt did the job :D ...I was quite pleased with myself but it's not something I care to do again...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Good on ya, Wyly!! :P Can you give a 'how to' description for the others here who might have the same unfortunate experience of having an X get away?
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Larry Zimmer wrote:Good on ya, Wyly!! :P Can you give a 'how to' description for the others here who might have the same unfortunate experience of having an X get away?
I know there's easy way to do it I've seen it demonstrated at bike shows by ladies "face away from the bike squat down reach back under the bike and push with your legs" I began that way but I just couldn't find anywhere to grip facing away from the bike :oops:

I just reached under the tank/ frame , tightened my core, straightened my back and used a combination arm curl and leg press...first time was a failure, it's been awhile since I moved something that heavy it's an eye opener :face: ...2nd attempt I was mentally prepared...obviously that first few inches is the real challenge, using same technique as a weightlifter starting his lift, good grip and hit it hard, it's speed/momentum that gets it moving past the initial few inches, once it's moving straighten the legs and up it goes...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Thanks, Wyly. Will remember -- AND hope to never need to. Have a great Summer. It's coming!
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Z Grand
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Z Grand »

The method I've seen demonstrated (by a woman with a full-dress Harley) is, back to the bike, chair-squat, grab something solid, and walk backwards with your legs. (Just make sure you don't go too far!) Of course, this only works if you can get good traction. The last time I had a bike on the ground it was on grass (rolled off the side-stand while I was closing the gate) and trying this method, my feet just slipped on the grass. Had to do the dead-lift thing. Fortunately the bike only weighed 425 pounds, so it wasn't that bad. :o

By the way (from the first post), I still haven't found the energy to remove the CBX center stand and have it welded.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

there are a number of youtube videos of the squat and push technique...something I wouldn't mind practicing with a bike other than my own :lol: I'm not keen on the idea of tipping my Z on it's side to try it out..

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

wyly wrote:there are a number of youtube videos of the squat and push technique...something I wouldn't mind practicing with a bike other than my own :lol: I'm not keen on the idea of tipping my Z on it's side to try it out..
:text-+1: I notice the volunteer line is VERY short, too :lol:
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I had the opportunity to try that method on Susan's R1100R last year. It didn't work well. I still needed her help. But then, I'm just a little scrawny thing.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Hmm-m-m-m ---- Me thinks we need to develop a 'plan B'! :think:
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”