Throttle and hand controls

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Throttle and hand controls

Post by Syscrush »

Hi all.

I'd like a nice aluminum throttle tube with some smooth bearings instead of the stock setup. There's nothing specifically wrong with my throttle, I just think it would be a nice touch on the bike and would go well with the other mods I've done.

I'm looking at the G2 throttle tube and Jimmy Twister setup:

I'm looking at this specific one because I like the outboard bearing on the bar insert (which I think should work with my aluminum fatbar), and I also like that the throttle cams are replaceable with a variety of profiles so I might be able to find something that gives me a throttle action that works well with the CBX.

My plan is to take some photos and measurements from the stock throttle tube and send it to G2 for fitment advice, but if there are other better options I'd be happy to hear about them.

Last year I spent quite a bit of time looking for some nice metal switchgear to use in place of the plastic stuff on the CBX (and almost all other OEM fitments), and I came up empty. I like the ISR stuff, but I'm not gonna spend more on levers & switchgear than I have in the front forks. :o If anyone has any suggestions about switchgear and controls that look and work well on the CBX, I'd be happy to hear it.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Throttle and hand controls

Post by Syscrush »

I contacted G2, and they're willing to work with me to find a fitment. I have also learned about the Whiskey Throttle from Biltwell. it looks nice, but they don't do a dual-cable in 7/8" bar (although they do for 1" bars). Also, they don't have the outboard bearing, so I'd expect slightly nicer action from the G2 setup.

They do have an array of cool-looking grips, though:

https://www.biltwellinc.com/search-list/?q=whiskey
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

you're gonna have one very sweet ride when you're all done rebuilding...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

I finally got the measurements sent to G2 and finalized my order. This is the first CBX they're doing, so they threw in an extra cam. I'll have one that's close to stock, and another that should be about 10% quicker. I'm really excited to try the quicker throttle - I feel like the stock setup has an awful lot of travel. I'm also excited to feel the action of the aluminum setup with the outboard bearing.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

Syscrush wrote:I finally got the measurements sent to G2 and finalized my order. This is the first CBX they're doing, so they threw in an extra cam. I'll have one that's close to stock, and another that should be about 10% quicker. I'm really excited to try the quicker throttle - I feel like the stock setup has an awful lot of travel. I'm also excited to feel the action of the aluminum setup with the outboard bearing.
Is this their Street Tamer unit or their Stock throttle unit?. :think:
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Mouse wrote:Is this their Street Tamer unit or their Stock throttle unit?. :think:
It's one Stock and one Quick Turn cam on the standard tube, plus a Jimmy Twister.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

I never thought about switching out my oem controls, never thought there was anything wrong with them. Looking forward to your report on the upgrade when you're done.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

I know that this is stupid given all of the other mods that have gone into the bike, but part of what I keep daydreaming about when I think about finally riding again after missing the bike for so long is that throttle tube with the outboard bearing!
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Well, I tried the throttle today. It feels pretty awesome. It's not a night & day difference from stock, just a bit smoother and snappier.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

was it an easy conversion?...a plug'n play type thing?

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

wyly wrote:was it an easy conversion?...a plug'n play type thing?
The throttle tube itself was plug 'n play, but if you want to use that outboard bearing, it would take some work. I have an aluminum fatbar handlebar on my bike, and the bearing is made for the ID of that type of bar. I have no information on the ID of the factory clip-ons, or if it would be good/possible to drill or ream those clip-ons to fit. Likewise, for those using a 7/8" steel handlebar, you'd have to check the ID to find out if it matches (I suspect it wouldn't, as these were really designed for dirtbike use and they've all been Al 1-1/8" for a long time now.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Phil, did you look at any dirt bike suppliers? There are some nice setups in plastic and alloys that you can fit rubber grips to, I am spoiled using JellGrips, great feel but they still eliminate some vibration and fatigue.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Jeff Bennetts wrote:Phil, did you look at any dirt bike suppliers? There are some nice setups in plastic and alloys that you can fit rubber grips to
I did look at dirt bike stuff - it tends to be simple and compact, which is cool. However, I didn't find any that are metal. Do you have any pointers?

I like the size and features of the universal switchgear from K&S, but would prefer something other than plastic.

Motogadget has some stuff for their m-Switch/m-Unit system that would look great on a show bike, but I don't think they'd be very usable

Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Here's a good place to start and you can also use the manufacturer's links on the home page to go down the rabbit hole.

you'll recognize a few of the products here,
http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/searc ... h=Throttle

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Thanks Jeff. The throttle tube & bearing setup from G2 that I went with are on that page. Lots of choices for throttle actuation! I've been surprised at how difficult it is to find nice compact switchgear not made of plastic.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”