Throttle and hand controls

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Throttle and hand controls

Post by Syscrush »

I've had a few chances to ride the bike with the G2 throttle tube & outboard bearing in place, and I have to say that it definitely meets my expectations - it feels nice and smooth and direct. The throttle cam that's on there now is the one that's supposed to be closest to the OEM actuation, and it does feel that way to me. They also sent me a cam that will open the throttle about 10% quicker, and I'm looking forward to trying that one out - IF I can find the damn box it's hiding in. Wish me luck!
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

My cleaning lady found the quicker cam, but apparently it rubs somewhere inside the stock throttle assembly, so it's not going on. Apparently both switchgear assemblies are getting very brittle, so I think I'm gonna replace everything - all switchgear, throttle assembly, brake master cylinder, and upgrade to hydraulic clutch. I've also been mulling and researching what I think could be a pretty cool custom grip setup.

I'm on the fence about going with a solution that includes choke actuation on the handlebar vs. hiding something under the tank. We'll see.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

While I was at the shop, I happened to see a ratty old half-disassembled 1993 Honda Shadow. Wait, are those controls metal, or just some coated/plated plastic?

The switch bodies are metal. The switches themselves and the choke lever are plastic and look like garbage. The Shadow 600 was made for 20 years, and parts similar to these are readily available new from Honda. They are ~$100 each for the 2008 750 parts, which appear to also be metal construction, although they don't have as much (or as nice) lettering, and the left side doesn't have the choke lever. The '93 left assembly is a bit over $200 and still available, but the right assembly (about $100) is not.

I don't think I want the shiny look, but if it was coated black and the recessed areas (painted black in the pics above) were painted red, I think they'd look pretty good on the bike. This is definitely an option I'm gonna research some more.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Looks like Partzilla has the older-style switches for pretty good prices:
Left: http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/h ... 8-A20.html
Right: http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/h ... 8-010.html

The pictures don't show a choke lever, but the fiche shows a separate choke cable assembly with a push/pull knob, not the lever.

Screw it - I'm ordering those switches!

And I might even leave 'em shiny. My instrument cluster is chrome, my big aftermarket swingarm is chrome, chrome switchgear might look good on this bike.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Are you sure the Shadow didn't have 1" bars?
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Rick Pope wrote:Are you sure the Shadow didn't have 1" bars?
I am pretty sure that some versions did. The ones shown in the photos from Partzilla look just like the ones on the bike I saw in person, and that bike was definitely 7/8" bars. I won't be 100% certain one way or the other about the ones I bought until they get here. I really hope they match the photos and fit my bars.

I am also pretty sure that the ones I ordered will work with a choke lever like the one I saw on the '93 bike. According to the fiche, the left assembly includes a part called an adapter, which really looks like a blank/dummy to mount in place of the choke lever I saw.

And today I had an apparent breakthrough in my quest for new clutch and brake controls. The 2013 BMW R1200GS has Brembo 4-piston calipers, a Magura hydraulic clutch, and master cylinders with integrated reservoirs and mounts for mirrors. They even come with adjustable levers, and everything is blacked out. Should look exactly how I want and work with the Brembo brakes I have and the Magura clutch slave cylinder I want.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I would think the Shadow had neither 1" nor 7/8" bars. After all, it is/was a metric bike and the handlebar diameter was probably 22mm, which is close to 7/8 and therefore is often called that.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Thanks Mike. Apparently my LSL handlebar is 22mm in the control area. We'll know soon if the Shadow controls work.

After digging a bit more, I found that the OEM BMW master cylinders I'm interested in were also used on the RnineT:

That bike has had the stock mirrors replaced with bar-end units, but you can see where the mounts are. I think that those controls look pretty good and would seem to be at home on my bike - I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on a set.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

My K1600 has almost identical looking master cylinders, but the reservoir is translucent. Easier to see fluid level, which I, personally, prefer.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

EMS wrote:My K1600 has almost identical looking master cylinders, but the reservoir is translucent. Easier to see fluid level, which I, personally, prefer.
I can appreciate that. For me, the form of a blacked-out reservoir wins over the function of a translucent one.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Today, as luck would have it, a 2006 Honda Shadow Spirit was parked beside me. It has the switchgear with arrows instead of the words "L TURN R", and smooth right housing instead of featuring the words "ENGINE STOP".

That bike had a 25mm or 1" bar.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

OK, I'm excited about the current plan:
  1. New switches have been shipped, here's hoping that they fit!
  2. I have used BMW master cylinders on the way.
  3. I will soon be ordering the Magura slave cylinder for my clutch conversion.
  4. I'm not crazy about my current brake lines & how they're routed, so I'm gonna have new matching brake and clutch lines made at the same time that the masters and switchgear are swapped.
  5. I'm going to go with an under-tank choke (hopefully we can manage something close to the petcock) to keep the hand controls a bit cleaner.
  6. While we're at it, I'll get some custom-made Motion-Pro throttle cables.
  7. And I'll finally get my Brembo rear master with integrated reservoir installed to clean up the right footpeg area.
  8. I have been talking with a pretty interesting craftsman about an option for custom grips that I think will be a nice touch on the bike.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Magura clutch slave has arrived. I can't wait for the rest!
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

BTW, I've continued looking at switches and master cylinders from the cruiser world because it seems I can't help myself. I have also discovered that switchblocks that integrate with the master cyl reservoir are apparently a thing!

A company called Show Chrome makes these - they're available in a variety of styles, finishes, and fitments. I don't have any use for this, but it may be of interest to people building tourers with lots of accessories to control.

Here's one vendor

They look pretty slick:

Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

The switchgear arrived yesterday. It looks and feels just fantastic. However...
Good call, Rick.

I wasn't sure about bar dia then, but I am sure now. 1" or 25mm. I have some time to decide whether to use these with some kind of spacer in place, or look for another option. I think that the spacer would be completely hidden by the grips & master cylinders - and that the bigger dia would mean enough clearance for my fast-action throttle cam.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”