Stock tyre and Rear shock sizes please.

ChrisSm
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Stock tyre and Rear shock sizes please.

Post by ChrisSm »

Hi all,

I'm building a '79 Z from an abandoned project US import and am upgrading the front and rear ends. In my haste, I forgot to take some measurements from parts I am replacing and have subsequently sold. Could some kind person with a stock machine please supply me with the following dimensions?

The length of the rear shocks, (uncompressed and with rider) from centre to centre of mounting points.

I also need the diameter or circumference of a stock rear wheel with fitted tyre.

For those interested I'm fitting the front end of a Suzuki GSF1200 Bandit and the back end of a Suzuki GSX1400. My aim is for the bike, at first glance anyway, to look stock, hence the 'standard' type front forks and the wider but still twin shock swing arm. The rear tyre is a 190 so any suggestions as to how I realign sprockets would be much appreciated.

Thanks from the UK.
Chris.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Stock tyre and Rear shock sizes please.

Post by EMS »

The rear shocks on a CBX-Z or A are nominal 360mm long, eye to clevis.
The rear wheel circumference depends on what tire you use. The stock size used in 1978/79/80 may no longer be available.
But here are some numbers:
The stock rear wheel is a nominal 18" size.
With a 4.25 stock tire, this translated to a diameter of 18+2x(4.25x0.85 )= 25.23 inches or 641mm, a radius of 320-321mm, which in turn made the circumference 2016mm.

ChrisSm
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Stock tyre and Rear shock sizes please.

Post by ChrisSm »

Hi, thanks very much for your quick response. Good to have some accurate figures as my starting point. Cheers.

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”