Wider Rims: Non CBX Comstar Rims/Spokes on CBX Comstar Hubs

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Wider Rims: Non CBX Comstar Rims/Spokes on CBX Comstar Hubs

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

have another q on another alternative approach to wider rims for the cbx while maintaining the stock look....

is it possible or has anyone took the rim/spoke assy off another comstar non cbx that is wider and mounted these to the stock cbx comstar hubs

i posted this a long time ago and the reply was the nuts that hold the comstar rim to the comstar spoke/hub assy and sppkes to the hub could not be loosened up without breaking them ..........though the new nuts are avail from honda that would allow reassy and ofcourse they were assembled with new nuts at the factory orig

>>>>

my point to this is if this can be done it opens all kinds of cheap alternatives in that any comstar rim and spoke assy might fit any cbx comstar hub

>>>>

we all know goldwings, vfrs, and alot of other hondas had comstars and most were wider than the cbx. someone posted the 1000 interceptor had a 4" rear 17" comstar rim............

if this is true then mounting the interceptor 4" or the widest comstar rim and spoke assy to the cbx rear hub would be a bigggg difff in width ....and not that expensive.

additionally then one could take the cbx rear comstar spoke/rim and mount this to the stock cbx front comstar hub

this would give an 18" x 110 front and a 17" x 140/150 or so on the rear and keep the x handling in balance with stock if one would want this. all this at a price one can afford plus it keeps the stock cbx look for those that want this

gearing would be changed per my prior post....

allllllllllllllllllllllllllllll this is assssssssssuming these non cbx wider rim/spokes assy might bolt up and fit a stock cbx comstar hub

>>>>>

dreammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmen on here since i dont know if anyone has tried this or if the parts fit. how about some of you cbxers out there with alot rims out there or even a slightly bent cbx wheel assy...giving it a try. just an idea

mike

Dave Hansen
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Dave Hansen »

An alternative to your problem here would be to have the wheels width increased. There are a couple places that do this kind of service. You can probably find one in the back of a mag or on the net.

real6
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by real6 »

still no input on changing comstar components?

real6
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by real6 »

still no input on changing comstar components?

fasterspider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by fasterspider »

There are two things Comstars are good for one of which is to keep that original factory look on your bike.

The other is to use as an anchor.

Comstar wheels suck, plain and simple.

I put the U.S. model CB1100F wheels on my CBX and I am having the rear wheel widened to fit a 160/60-17 tire but I am keeping Honda wheels on the bike.
Ray#1

The Fasterspider

Slightly modified 79 CBX

Ride Red

cbx4evr
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by cbx4evr »

fasterspider wrote:There are two things Comstars are good for one of which is to keep that original factory look on your bike.

The other is to use as an anchor.

Comstar wheels suck, plain and simple.

Ray. Just curious as to the reason for your dislike of Comstars. I'm not a bike expert and having only owned a CBX I know no different.
"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

"Comstar wheels suck, plain and simple."

This is just his opinion, as he's told us many times. :roll: :lol:

I love my comstars. True, and they balance well. Just a tad too narrow but so's the swingarm. These are afterall, twenty plus year old motorcycles.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

fasterspider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by fasterspider »

The wheels are too big in diameter and too narrow in track.

They are riveted together and flex too much.

The ideal size for a motorcycle wheel is 17 inch diameter with a 3.5 inch wide front and at least a 4.5 inch wide wheel in the rear.

If it was not the ideal size, why do all sport/sport-touring bikes have 17 inch wheels now a days?

I had those lame 79 Comstars on my CBX and got rid of them as soon as I had some smaller wheels to put on that would bolt up directly with no problems or alterations.
Ray#1

The Fasterspider

Slightly modified 79 CBX

Ride Red

cbx4evr
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by cbx4evr »

fasterspider wrote:The wheels are too big in diameter and too narrow in track.

The ideal size for a motorcycle wheel is 17 inch diameter with a 3.5 inch wide front and at least a 4.5 inch wide wheel in the rear.

If it was not the ideal size, why do all sport/sport-touring bikes have 17 inch wheels now a days?

I had those lame 79 Comstars on my CBX and got rid of them as soon as I had some smaller wheels to put on that would bolt up directly with no problems or alterations.

Are you thinking 17" front and rear??? I'll assume you are running 1100F wheels. Those would be 17" rear and 18" front.?? Aren't they Comstars too? I've got a set of the CDN 1100f wheels and had them on my 80X. I needed new rubber so I out the stock wheels back on as they had new tires.
"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Below are some photos of various 1100f rear rims fitted to CBXs

Also Kosman will widen comstars. See Xpress ad page 9 for photo of one 5.5" wide.

If you review the first post on this thread you will see some semi-low theory I have for getting smaller and wider comstars on a CBX that wont cost you a bundle and I think the approach would work........but no one has tried it yet

Best

Carl
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Carl »

I can't look at Page 9.....need an Xpress to do that

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Say It Loud.....I Own a CBX and I'm Proud!!

fasterspider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by fasterspider »

cbx4evr wrote:
fasterspider wrote:The wheels are too big in diameter and too narrow in track.

Are you thinking 17" front and rear??? I'll assume you are running 1100F wheels. Those would be 17" rear and 18" front.?? Aren't they Comstars too? I've got a set of the CDN 1100f wheels and had them on my 80X. I needed new rubber so I out the stock wheels back on as they had new tires.
U.S. CB1100F wheels are forged alloy wheels. The wheels on my CBX are CB1100F wheels from my blue CB1100 Super F that now has 17" CBR F-2 & 3 wheels.

I would put CBR wheels on my CBX too, but I did not have them at the time of the swap and wanted to use the 11F wheels that just came off my blue bike.

I will eventually put 17 inch wheels on my X, money is the part that is holding me back now since the motor just seized in my CBX about an hour ago.

My CB1100 Super F bikes both have CBR F2 and F3 wheels and handle almost as good as a modern sport bike does.
Ray#1

The Fasterspider

Slightly modified 79 CBX

Ride Red

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by broook »

Carl wrote:I can't look at Page 9.....need an Xpress to do that

I`ll send you a scan Carl WHEN I get mine :twisted:

cbx4evr
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by cbx4evr »

Mike Brown Barone #123 wrote:Below are some photos of various 1100f rear rims fitted to CBXs

Hey Mike. That's a pretty big bike trailer just to haul wheels!! :) :)
Last edited by cbx4evr on Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

broook wrote:
Carl wrote:I can't look at Page 9.....need an Xpress to do that

I`ll send you a scan Carl WHEN I get mine :twisted:

Carl

Santa has something for you

ftp://CBX2:@ftp.trianglepress.net

Click above link or copy this into the address part of your browser. Note: These are large files and do take a few minutes to launch even with broadband. Dialup will not work...sorry.

And ...yes you can forward this site address to other CBXers you know.

Now I dont have a clue why you cant seem to get the Xpress again. Did you do something to tick your delivery person offfff

Let me know end of next week and I will send you one again.

Mike

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”