front wheel installation

wiggs
New Member & Happy To Be Here

front wheel installation

Post by wiggs »

I have just put a new standard tire on my 82 CBX rim ,and following the book, reinstalled the axle into the rim, tightened the axle nut with the axle spacers, then situated the axle in the shocks before tightening down shock nuts and calipers as suggested - my question is there seems to be no reference on how tight to tighten the axle nut and shaft in situ in the rim prior to mounting on the bike, too much and it locks the wheel and speedo drive solid, at present I have untightened it to free movement with minimal drag, is this right or what am I doing wrong? or am I missing something thanks
1982 cbx, 1982 cx turbo, 1982 cx turbo, 1982 cx Eurosport , 1987 yamaha fj1200, lucky guy !!

harvey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: front wheel installation

Post by harvey »

The manual says the front axle nut is to be tightened to: 55-65NM, 5.5-6.5kgm or 40 to 47ftlbs

I got this from a pdf at: http://www.cbxworld.com/features/_81_82man/chapt13.pdf

It was easier to access this than go out to the garage and find it in the manual.
harvey

Ride Safe and Ride Often

wiggs

Post by wiggs »

thanks Harvey - I did see this but cannot get close to these values without the wheel locking up for some reason and I know I am not missing any spacers, its literally axle / speedo drive / wheel / spacer then locking nut on axle from right to left
1982 cbx, 1982 cx turbo, 1982 cx turbo, 1982 cx Eurosport , 1987 yamaha fj1200, lucky guy !!

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Sorry, Wiggs, to take so long to get to this one. I was just Forum surfing and came across this one of yours. Hopefully, and presumably, you got it by now. For the sake of others, I might mention to be not forget the internal spacer (called a distance collar in the shop manual) that goes between the bearings when reassembling things. Similar thing happens a bit often with rear wheels. Without that, the bearing inner races get squeezed out of alignment so tight as to lock the wheel. (Can also damage the bearing.)

Hope all turned-out well for you.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”