Tires: V or H

Ed Townsend
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Tires: V or H

Post by Ed Townsend »

Sorry if this is old material, but I just bought a 79 and want to put a set of Michelin Macadam 50's on it. Had good luck with them on another bike. Most of my riding is mountain roads with the occasional long empty straight. Having a problem finding the 120/90V18 rear. Any opinions regarding using H rated versus V? Other brand suggestions?

Thanks.

John S. (5594)
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Tire Choices

Post by John S. (5594) »

Hi Ed,

I mounted a set of Michelin Macadams on my '80 CBX and am generally pleased with their performance. Have not yet logged enough miles to comment on wear but adhesion seems very good - as are the turn-in (or steering) characteristics. The one problem is the tendency of the front to track the rain grooves that are cut into many freeways here. Even with the CBX's long wheelbase - the bike does squirm around a bit (no danger - just a distraction at times).

My silver '79 CBX sports Dunlop 501's - these are also good performers - probably a match for the Michelins as hard as I push my CBX's (and while not grinding the hard parts - I do push them). The Dunlops seem to wear quickly though - I replaced the rear at ~4k miles when the profile flattened (I do ride that bike hard but do not spin the rear). Since I can find these tires at most outlets for ~2/3 the price of the Michelins (which are more difficult to find in stock at the stores I shop) - the Dunlops are a good choice. Note too that when installed on the 79's MT2.15 front rim - the equivalent Michelin is nearly 10mm narrower than the Dunlop at the widest point - just a cosmetic issue.

I have Bridgestones on my red '79 CBX - but it sports the wider '81 CBX Comstar rims. Although the BT11's are designed for these narrow rims - I went with the BT45's and a 130 rear - technically incorrect for even the wider late model MT2.75 rim - but they seem to work well. These tires stick like glue and turn-in is spot-on. The jury is still out on wear but I will probably choose them again when replacements are due.

Note that I usually avoid riding in the rain and can not comment on wet riding performance for any of these tire choices

Many folks run Metzelers on the CBX (ME33/ME55 front rear as I recall) and highly recommend them. Pirelli's also get high marks. The go-fast CBX'ers have had success with Avon's specified for vintage racers - certainly pricey and they reportedly wear quickly. But really - with as many miles as I put on any of my CBX's a year - I may opt for them next time around - will see. Mike Barone has a micro review of these tires posted on the board somwhere.

And as far as H verses V tire rating - the H rating is certainly acceptable for the CBX ridden on the street. All the tires I have used are V rated - and given the choice between two ratings for the same tire - I have opted for V rated tires (maybe just psychological - but the V rated tires may actually afford a margin of safety when ridden hard).

Take some time and read all the comments posted here on this topic - some very good information from folks much more experienced than I . But I do suggest that you try the Dunlops - not too expensive - relatively easy to find "on the shelf" and they perform very well.

All the best,

John
San Jose, California

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”