Probably installing BT-45s on my '79

oilheadron

Probably installing BT-45s on my '79

Post by oilheadron »

It has the stock wheels, and my main question is should I go with a 110/90/18 rear or a 120/90/18?? I'm after responsive and nuetral handling more than anything else. I just LOVE the way the 90's model VFR750s practically drive themselves through corners and would kill to have a similar nuetral feel with my CBX.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Re: Probably installing BT-45s on my '79

Post by Don »

I have BT-45's on my bike and I love them - A nice sticky tire with good handling but at the expense of mileage . . . . I get right at 4,000 from rear tires, double that on the fronts. No complaints

I would either go with the 110/90 on your stock 2.15 inch wide wheel . . . . or upgrade to a later, wider wheel and put the 120/90 on it. I'm using a 140/80 on a 3.5 inch wheel

Don

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

With the stock wheels, most of us run the 120/80/18 rear BT45. It does not come in a 120/90/18. The S11s do come in that size if you want more mileage. And stick with the 100/90/18 for the front. A 110 is too big and will contact the fender at 'high' speeds.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

daves79x wrote: . And stick with the 100/90/18 for the front.
Dave
Even though you may have a little difficulty, at first, getting it on the 19" wheel...... :D :D :D

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Now that I think about it, a 110/90/18 may not be too wide for the front once you stretch it onto the 19" wheel.

Dave

oilheadron

Post by oilheadron »

Actually the BT-45 is available in a V-rated 120/90/18 if the info in my 2011 Bridgestone Tire Data book is to believed. (And I paused while posting this to confirm that Parts Unlimited has them in stock and they do.)

So knowing this now, should I go with the 110 or the 120 rear? I'm leaning toward the 110 because I usually prefer the turn-in of a smaller rear vs. a larger one (but my experience has been on everything BUT a CBX so I'm really glad you guys here).

Mike Cecchini
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Mike Cecchini »

BT-45's are great tires. I've been doing a direct comparison of them vs Avon RoadRunners on another bike. The Bt's are giving me twice the milage as the Avons..... around 5k miles on the BT's vs 3k on the Avons on the R90RS.
It's not what you ride.....it's how you ride.

oilheadron

Post by oilheadron »

Is that an R90RS or an R90S????? Did you make a hybrid (which would be way cool)??

Mike Cecchini
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Mike Cecchini »

oilheadron wrote:Is that an R90RS or an R90S????? Did you make a hybrid (which would be way cool)??
Yes.......it's a 1975 R90S ex-Battle of Twins racer that I put back on the street, then did the full RS conversion after a few years of riding it.

And while I have nothing against stock machines, and some should stay stock like a Mike Hailwood Replica Mille' and a Desmosedici D16RR, I do love to build specials. 10 of my 16 machines are specials that I've built. Here's the R90RS that took me about 2 yrs to build http://tinyurl.com/688co77

oilheadron

Post by oilheadron »

That may be the coolest f--- (edited by moderator) motorcycle I've ever seen. The R100RS was always an ultimate bike to me.

P.S. Email your phone number to me so I can tell you again how much I de$pi$e you. :P

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Mike Cecchini wrote:
oilheadron wrote:Is that an R90RS or an R90S????? Did you make a hybrid (which would be way cool)??
Yes.......it's a 1975 R90S ex-Battle of Twins racer that I put back on the street, then did the full RS conversion after a few years of riding it.

And while I have nothing against stock machines, and some should stay stock like a Mike Hailwood Replica Mille' and a Desmosedici D16RR, I do love to build specials. 10 of my 16 machines are specials that I've built. Here's the R90RS that took me about 2 yrs to build http://tinyurl.com/688co77

Wow, that is a cool project. Neato.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Mike Cecchini
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Mike Cecchini »

Hey Nils....... I've emailed you privately about two issues I've had with the ICOA forum, but no response from you.

Please contact me at mrc.engr@verizon.net.

Thanks...........Mike

ps....... yes Ron, I know you hate me :no .....but the R90RS is nothing compared to the rest of the bikes in the shed. :eek:

oilheadron

Post by oilheadron »

It does look weaker the more I look at it. But I'll give you your original purchase price for it; I know I'm making a huge sacrifice here, but that's the kind of guy I am. :) I'm just here to help.

Mike Cecchini
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Mike Cecchini »

oilheadron wrote:It does look weaker the more I look at it. But I'll give you your original purchase price for it; I know I'm making a huge sacrifice here, but that's the kind of guy I am. :) I'm just here to help.

What are you referring to ??

oilheadron

Post by oilheadron »

I was joking about "stealing" your R90RS!!!

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”