New Wheels at last

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

New Wheels at last

Post by Samelak »

I finally got a set of gold boomerangs. Just a few questions to start. Can I use the stock CBX axle with the rear wheel? I would like to refinish them. Is there a good anodize gold paint out there that is a close match?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: New Wheels at last

Post by daves79x »

You will have to use your CBX axle, but the spacers may not be right, especially the sprocket-side one. When swapping wheels, you just have to see how things line up and play around with the axle/spacer/hub combos. Good luck.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Samelak wrote:I finally got a set of gold boomerangs. Just a few questions to start. Can I use the stock CBX axle with the rear wheel? I would like to refinish them. Is there a good anodize gold paint out there that is a close match?
Anodizing is not a paint or coating process. it is an "oxydation" of the surface caused by electrolysis. Any paint will be visible and not really match. You may have to refinish the whole wheel by powdercoating it, for example.

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Samelak »

I know that anodizing is not paint, but I was wndering if there is a brand of paint that mimics it? Powdercoating is my next option, but I really want to keep the gold color. I have not found a gold powder to use.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Samelak wrote:I know that anodizing is not paint, but I was wndering if there is a brand of paint that mimics it? Powdercoating is my next option, but I really want to keep the gold color. I have not found a gold powder to use.
I would check out Eastwood for specialty coatings/paint for sure.

http://www.eastwood.com

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

II used a gold wheel on the front of my bike - Because it was weathered and pitted, I got it for only $50

Once the deterioration has reached the point where the anodozed coating has 'broken through', there's not much you can do in the way of touching it up - Refinishing the entire wheel would be in order I think

In my case, since I needed a black wheel to match my brand new black anodized rear wheel, I always intended to refinish the front wheel anyway . . . . which is why I actually hunted down a well weathered wheel that I could buy cheaply

If it turns out that you need to powdercoat them, I would take that as an opportunity to explore some other colors and make your bike something truly unique. I've seen a dozen or more CBX's with gold boomerangs on them but the only ones the gold wheels looked 'right' on (to me personally) were the all black '80 models - On any other color bike, they just seemed out of place . . . . one too many colors, IMO

If you do wind up powdercoating them, wet sand them very well and have your powdercoater prime them first. You can also use the slow drying JB Weld or Marine-Tex epoxies to fill in any gouges or defects in the wheel and once the wheel is powdered, the defects will be completely invisible. The primer/powder will give the very sharp edges on the spokes a softer, rounder feel, but just looking at the wheel, you'll never know the difference - My satin black front wheel is a dead on match for my anodized rear wheel. Since my black rear wheel had silver bolts and rivets, we carefully abraded the smooth powder finish with a Dremel tool and painted all of that hardware a matching silver and again, you can't tell the difference just looking at the wheel

Unless gold is your absolute first choice, you have the opportunity to make something truly unique . . . . be bold and go for it!

Don

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Don wrote: the only ones the gold wheels looked 'right' on (to me personally) were the all black '80 models - On any other color bike, they just seemed out of place . . . . one too many colors, IMO
It is a matter of taste and, of course, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but for me, this is the best looking bike Honda ever made.

..and here is another red bike with gold wheels that I really like..

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

Mike,

I think the gold boomerangs look absolutely *perfect* on the 1100R's . . . . and I agree it's probably the best looking Honda ever made - I think the difference between that and a CBX is the absence of lots of silver and especially chrome - Silver, chrome and gold is just one too many distinct, different colors . . . . and maybe 'colors' isn't the correct word either

Don

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”