Bad rear shock cause premature tire wear?

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Bad rear shock cause premature tire wear?

Post by Terry »

You might remember that I wore out the center of a Kenda 130 on the 82 at around 4,000 miles last trip up north. I'd experienced that front end high speed wobble in the corners on that trip too just not as much, as I was packed for the tour and not always haulin thru the sweepers. :o After getting the ProSus unit recharged today I got to thinking, could that dead shock have been the reason for such early tire wear on that trip?

I recall George and others saying they got way more miles out of theirs than I did. Probably so? The only replacement tire I had access to when I needed one in WA state was a similar Kenda. Its had about 1,500+or- since then (on the bad shock) and it still looks good but we'll see if it lasts as long as it ought to, now that my shock has some new nitro in it...and hopefully the nitro will stay in it too!
Last edited by Terry on Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Terry, a speed wobble is the extreme manifestation of something being wrong. If you frequently run at speeds where this phenomenon arises, you would surely wear your tires more rapidly. I would hazard a guess that it also reduces tire life (to a lesser effect) at speeds where it is unnoticable......
ICOA # 656

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”