Help with my rear tire choice

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Help with my rear tire choice

Post by Terry »

Call it an experiment for under $100. I'll keep everyone posted on the results so here are my choices:

Mel in the UK recommends the Michelin Macadam M50 which seems to be offered in H and V rated versions. Says it sticks real well (and) is good on mileage. The Brits should certainly know (good) handling (tyres).

(Some) recommend the GT501 Dunlop (including me) for its stickiness but I'm not pleased with only 5K. Some, don't like it at all.

The Avon Super Venom AM18 (looks) very good but I've never heard of anyone using them.

The Pirelli Sport Demon also looks good but again, who has tried one?

How about the venerable Dunlop K81 in 425/85H18, the only H rated tire in the mix (and) only $71...if its only going to last 5K, why not?

All other tires listed are between $80 and $89 and are size 120/90V18.

One last question, why not a 120/70 or 120/80? What would the difference be, gearing? height? What???

Thanks guys, hoping to hear from you all soon.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

SS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Tire size comparision calculator

Post by SS »

Terry , try this neat site.

BTW: requires an Internet browser that supports JavaScript

http://www.sgmotorsports.com/tiresize.htm#TireSize

email me if you have questions about the site, I have spent hours working :roll: through tire sizes & gearing for my 82.
SS

Someone who thinks logically provides a nice contrast to the real world.

01 XL1200C 83 CB1100F 82 CBX 80 CBX

so far!!!!!!!!!!

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Rear Tire

Post by EMS »

Tery:
I assume you are talking rear tire on a '79, not a Prolink model. :idea: My personal tire choice was heavily influenced by availability of the specific size and what I am doing with the bike. :!: I ride my 81 different than my 79. The 79 gets more short distance workouts, hardly ever on the freeway. The 81 goes on the occasional 100 mile Interstate flight. So I look for different tires. :!: My favorite "Sport Touring" (!) tire is the Metzeler MEZ4. 8) I have it on both my BMWs and they offer great performance and mileage, the ideal "all around" tire. I would prefer that for my 81, but it is not available in the right size. :roll: The next best thing I found was a ME33 Laser 100/90-19 in the front and a ME55A Metronic MBS 130/80-18 in the rear - (and Mark: Metzeler recommends 2.50 bar for the rear!) For the 79 I finally arrived at a Bridgestone Battlax BT45F (V-rated) 100/90-19 front and a Battlax BT45R (V-rated) in the rear 120/90-18. Excellent for the purpose. :D Maybe not as great on mileage. Pricing? Depends on where you shop

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

I know nothing about tires, but since the '79 I just bought had a badly weather checked Metzler on the back, and a brand new Dunlop K-491 on the front, I just ordered (yesterday) a new matching 120/90HB18 K-491 ($73) for the rear, just to "match things up" - I'll let you know if it's worth anything shortly ;)

Don

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”